Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOFD question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DOFD question

Hmm...the SOL in FL arlready expired 2yrs ago and I moved to IA this year. July marks the drop off date for my CO of which the DOFD is in early 2001. But accrding to the bankrate.com site posted in this forum, the IA SOL is 10yrs!!! Have I become fresh bait for the sharks again?
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a scenerio....(yeah, it's mine)

2002 - up til oct all ok, then nov  & dec-both 30 late,
2003 Jan & Feb both ok, then Mar & Apr-30 late each, then May June-both ok, then jul-30, aug-60, sep-90, oct-120, Nov-120, dec-120,
2004- Jan & forward...CO.

What is my dofd?  That first one in nov 02, or the one starting jul in 03?

In my endless research of credit reporting and the laws governing it I found some information that gave examples of when/how the DOFD is determined.  In your case it would be the Jul 03 date for DOFD.  the first one becomes mute after you made payments to the account.  it can be still reported but as far as the DOFD it would always be the latter date.
Message 12 of 18
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

BungalowMo wrote:
Ilecs...thanks.  I did that & see nothing on ex & not all on TU tell me.   Smiley Indifferent

First off, sorry about the smiley face. I typed something wrong that caused that.

Sometimes the drop off date may not be listed at all if the account has the potential of becoming good again (after 7 yrs). In that case I would use the July date and/or call them and ask for an accurate DOFD.
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hmm...the SOL in FL arlready expired 2yrs ago and I moved to IA this year. July marks the drop off date for my CO of which the DOFD is in early 2001. But accrding to the bankrate.com site posted in this forum, the IA SOL is 10yrs!!! Have I become fresh bait for the sharks again?

I think it's rare for a CA to sue based on state of residence (though I'm sure it can happen). I think most common is to sue in THEIR state since they would be the ones to face a logistical nightmare of appearing (if you have to appear, so do they -- otherwise they default and YOU win!).

So I'd find out where the CA has offices (most CAs, AFAIK, have branches and offshoots) ... and think in terms of THEIR state's SoL.

If you WERE in a state with a kinder SoL, you could file for a domestication of the lawsuit (which means, have the suit filed/transferred to YOUR state). But obviously, you don't want that!! Smiley Sad

Who's the CA? Perhaps we know who they are and their track record on suing. Also, how much $$ are we talking about? Most CAs (note that I said most , not ALL) won't sue for small debts.
Message 14 of 18
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

A1...thanks, that's what I thought.  I just though I'd double check!  (still grumblin')

llecs wrote:

BungalowMo wrote:
Ilecs...thanks.  I did that & see nothing on ex & not all on TU tell me.   Smiley Indifferent

First off, sorry about the smiley face. I typed something wrong that caused that.

Sometimes the drop off date may not be listed at all if the account has the potential of becoming good again (after 7 yrs). In that case I would use the July date and/or call them and ask for an accurate DOFD.

When I was on the phone w/crap 1 she said something about Dec 09!  I knew that was wrong.  I think I'm having such bad luck with them cuz it was closed by them as a co/bad debt, but then I paid!   I'm sending another GW, but I have decided to keep at them, but put more focus on the other negs.

I've read that as neg's get older, they become less "costly" in FICO points, but when I get my scores, the negative acct info is always the #1 contributor to my lower score. 
You have a serious delinquency (60 days past due or greater) or a derogatory description on your credit report.

My earliest deq was 3.5 years ago...Smiley Sad  How long will this haunt me???
Actually, I know it will haunt me til the GW's work or time takes it's toll...

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 15 of 18
DustyStash
Valued Member

Mo per the FCRA, your DOFD is absolutely July of 2003, no doubt.

Also, Wonderin said ...   
"Florida's NOT a debtor-friendly state by any means"

This is maybe true for SOL purposes, but certainly not true at all in other areas. When one is sued and a judgment is issued against you, Florida IS hands down, thee most debtor friendly state in the nation. So Florida is very debtor friendly in some areas of the law. You don't think OJ Simpson who owed 26 million or whatever it was, moved there just for the sun and oranges did you ?  He had plenty of sun in Southern California. He went to Florida to dodge his civil judgment .. and SURPRISE ... he hasn't paid much if any of it still all these years.  Florida is absolutely debtor friendly post judgment.

Cheers     
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DustyStash wrote:
Mo per the FCRA, your DOFD is absolutely July of 2003, no doubt.
Also, Wonderin said ...
"Florida's NOT a debtor-friendly state by any means"
This is maybe true for SOL purposes, but certainly not true at all in other areas. When one is sued and a judgment is issued against you, Florida IS hands down, thee most debtor friendly state in the nation. So Florida is very debtor friendly in some areas of the law. You don't think OJ Simpson who owed 26 million or whatever it was, moved there just for the sun and oranges did you ? He had plenty of sun in Southern California. He went to Florida to dodge his civil judgment .. and SURPRISE ... he hasn't paid much if any of it still all these years. Florida is absolutely debtor friendly post judgment.
Cheers

Personally, I think he moved here simply because we're one of the highest in murder rates (especially serial murder). He can blend right in! Smiley Wink

Well, we may be kind in terms of judgments, but if you're asking about landlord/tenant law, child support, product liability, etc ... we STINK.

Also, last I checked, someone only licensed to be a GP can come down here and be a friggin' brain surgeon. With docs here, you ALWAYS make sure the doc you're going to see is BOARD certified in the type of practice you're looking for. Course, that could apply to other states, too.

But don't EVEN get me started on land development, politics, or friggin' condos here!! Smiley Mad
Message 17 of 18
DustyStash
Valued Member

Wonderin, are you sure you're not on the Florida Tourism Board ? haha.  Such a ringing endorsement of that state, I'm sure they'd love to have ya !  OJ definitely moved there to skate out of his judgment. Your murder theory might hold true, but for 2 simple facts. 1) we all know he didnt do it ;o) .. and 2) LA either leads the nation, or is right at the top each year in murders. He had plenty of sun here, and fellow murderes to blend in with. Its not as if he was transferring from North Dakota haha.

I own my own judgment recovery business, so I can only speak to Florida in that area. I've never been there, and it may be a lovely place. It is certainly a bear to collct a judgment from though. in fact if a Florida judgment comes my way, I don't even look at it .. I turn it away. Texas is also very debtor friendly as far as judgments, 2nd to Florida I would say.

Everything else you mentioned, hey you guys can have it ! heh. I wouldnt make it in a republican state anyways, I don't think. I prefer beautiful Southern California here, the only place where it could be a sunny day all day, and nobody knew it ... thru the smog. I do miss white people however, and hearing English. But I'm sure they're all happily relocated in Oregon, Washington, Texas, Colorado, and anywhere but here. However, its not enough to propel me to Florida. I'll stick around here in Northern Mexico for a while, at least we're democratic, and I can handle that.

Best wishes ... and thanks for the heads up on the Docs there ... i'll be sure I have my lobotomy out here where they don't speak English.  I figure that way, they could be having a collosal screw up, and I'll be perfectly calm, as I slip abruptly into death  =oP

Sparky
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.