Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOFD vs DOFMD question and 'reporting until' question

tag
emily15
Regular Contributor

DOFD vs DOFMD question and 'reporting until' question

Hello Everyone,

I had a question regarding the date of first deliquency vs major deliquency.. from reading other posts I get conflicting answers ..

Basically, I had a joint car loan with my ex husband and he kept the car when we split.. the first late payment was in 2010 and then he paid on and off, I believe he finally stopped paying in 2012, it went to collections in 2012 and eventually in 2015 he settled and paid the account. It is listed as "Paid, was a charge off" on my report..

I have a photo of the report but can't figure out how to attach it....

When I check my report, it estimates the date to stay on record until 2019 and that the first 'major deliquency' was in 2012 (but lists two separate months)

Is this correct? would there be any way to have it removed 7.5 years from the first late in 2010 (in 2017)? What are my other options to have this remedied on my CR before 2019.....?

Thank you in advance! 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DOFD vs DOFMD question and 'reporting until' question

@emily15 wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I had a question regarding the date of first deliquency vs major deliquency.. from reading other posts I get conflicting answers ..

Basically, I had a joint car loan with my ex husband and he kept the car when we split.. the first late payment was in 2010 and then he paid on and off, I believe he finally stopped paying in 2012, it went to collections in 2012 and eventually in 2015 he settled and paid the account. It is listed as "Paid, was a charge off" on my report..

I have a photo of the report but can't figure out how to attach it....

When I check my report, it estimates the date to stay on record until 2019 and that the first 'major deliquency' was in 2012 (but lists two separate months)

Is this correct? would there be any way to have it removed 7.5 years from the first late in 2010 (in 2017)? What are my other options to have this remedied on my CR before 2019.....?

Thank you in advance! 

If you get behind and then catch up, and then get behind again, the first late is not the DoFD. Each time the account is brought current the preceding lates are not used to establish a DoFD if later charged off. SO, the DoFD would be the first late payment DIRECTLY LEADING to the charge off and collection.

Message 2 of 6
emily15
Regular Contributor

Ah, got it. Thank you.

So are there any ways to improve this on my reports rather than just waiting for it to fall off? I was under the impression he did a PFD but now I believe he just settled and paid.
Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

One cannot determine the DOFD from the info provided.

First, disregard the date of first major delinquency in any determination of credit report exclusion.  It is irrelevant.

Date of first major delinquency is provided for informational purposes to those who want to see when things first go serious.  It has NO relevance to credit report exclusion.

As for the DOFD, the problem with the posted scenario is that it is stated that he made payments after the first delinquency.

The definition of DOFD is the date of first delinquency in a continuous chain of delinquencies up to the point of their taking of the charge-off.

Stated differently, if any payment he made was sufficient to return the account to pays as agreed, good standing,then a new DOFD would be set when he had another new delinquency prior to the charge-off.

Assuming the account was continually delinquent after its first default, then the DOFD would be the first account delinquency.

The charge-off would then become excluded no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD, and the CRA would likely do their own, standard early exclusion at approx 7 years from DOFD.

The only other opiton to have it removed prior to its credit report exclusion date is to contact the creditor and ask then to do a good-will deletion.

They are instructed by the CRAs not to do such deletions, but you may get lucky.

Message 4 of 6
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

They are not instructed in any way as to delete or not delete. I have this from transunion, equifax, and experian. That is a myth, and used as lazy excuse for those that do not want to pay (they pay to put it on the report, they pay to take it off). My own clean up efforts yielded many revelations. Smiley Wink
Signature needs updating
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The standard reporting manual used by all of the CRAs, title the "Credit Reporting Resource Guide," (c) CDIA, clearly states at numerous sections that furnishers are NOT to delete reporting based on payment of the debt.

It is their clear and written policy, not myth.

The persons representing the CRAs who stated that they have no policy instructing furnishers not to delete appear to be unfamilar with their own credit reporting manual

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.