Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOFD without 30 Days??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DOFD without 30 Days??

Hi there,

I'm prepping to ask for early exclusion on a couple of charge offs, but in reviewing my CR, both Experian and Equifax show DOFD as 07/2009 and 10/2009.  

However, both of these show only 120 days late on those DOFD periods, with both being marked as paid the periods before where I would expect to see 30, 60 and 90 days late. 

So my questions are:

Should my actual DOFD be 3 months prior and the CR simply isn't showing this info, and who would I contact to get that info? 

Should I contact creditor to try and get this info or displute with CRA? 

Or, should I first see about getting an early exclusion at which point this is all moot?  

Thanks for all the guidance here as I look to clean up my old mess. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DOFD without 30 Days??

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there,

I'm prepping to ask for early exclusion on a couple of charge offs, but in reviewing my CR, both Experian and Equifax show DOFD as 07/2009 and 10/2009.  

However, both of these show only 120 days late on those DOFD periods, with both being marked as paid the periods before where I would expect to see 30, 60 and 90 days late. 

So my questions are:

Should my actual DOFD be 3 months prior and the CR simply isn't showing this info, and who would I contact to get that info? 

Should I contact creditor to try and get this info or displute with CRA? 

Or, should I first see about getting an early exclusion at which point this is all moot?  

Thanks for all the guidance here as I look to clean up my old mess. 

DoFD is not determined by the reported Payment History on the account. It is a separate date reported by the OC after the account is charged off. Pull your free reports from annualcreditreport.com and you will see the reported DoFD on you Equifax file.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am looking at both true/dispute versons of EQ and EX and they list both DOFD that matches what is shown in payment history.  I guess what I maybe didn't ask very clearly, is if DOFD is listed as 7/2009 and then payment history shows 7/2009 as 120 days, shouldn't the CORRECT DOFD be 4/2009 in reality?  

Does that make sense? 

Thanks for the assistance. 

Message 3 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I am looking at both true/dispute versons of EQ and EX and they list both DOFD that matches what is shown in payment history.  I guess what I maybe didn't ask very clearly, is if DOFD is listed as 7/2009 and then payment history shows 7/2009 as 120 days, shouldn't the CORRECT DOFD be 4/2009 in reality?  

Does that make sense? 

Thanks for the assistance. 

You cannot trust a payment history to be correct. If you want to confirm the actual DoFD I would call the OC and discuss it with them. They are required by law to report it within 90 days of COing the account. A DoFD can only be set if an account is actually COed. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  I wasn't necessarily trusting it as much as it made me wonder if perhaps it was wrong.  

Will reach out to OC and see. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks.  I wasn't necessarily trusting it as much as it made me wonder if perhaps it was wrong.  

Will reach out to OC and see. 

Yes, I would contact them and just basically say that either one (the DoFD) or the other (the 120 day late) may be reporting incorrectly, as they would seem to be in conflict.

What kind of account was this?

Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Taking your example, yes, if your payment history profile reports as being 120 late in 7/2009, that rasises questions as to how the DOFD could be that same date.

The only way that could be the case is if the account was in good-standing in 6/2007, and 7/2009 was a new first delinquency, and the CO then occured after that date.

That is contradictory to having reported as 120 late in 7/2009, so you clearly have an inaccuracy in either the reporting as being 120-late in 7/2009, or that 7/2009 is the DOFD.

However, you cannot simply back-date from 7/2009 by four months to determine a DOFD for a couple of reasons.

First, creditors are not required to report a 30-late the actual first month that it is possible to do so.  They can delay, and first report as at least 30-late several months after the first reportable 30-late.  The same applies to later levels of delinquency.

Second, a 30-late is not reportable until an account is 30 days past the date of first actual account default, and thus the legal DOFD is a month prior to a reportabel 30-late.

As demonstrated by the above, neither a CRA nor a consumer can determine the DOFD based on a reported payment history profile.  Thus the requiremnt under FCRA 623(a)(5) that the DOFD must be separately and explicitly reported to the CRA no later than 90 days after having reported a collection or charge-off.

You have a clear inaccuracy in reporting, but whether it is a payment history inaccuracy or a DOFD inaccuracy is left to be determined.

You can either contact the credtior informally and request clarification, file a direct dispute with the creditor, or send a dispute to the CRA and let them handle referral to the creditor.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

These are both old Providian credit card accounts that were sold to SST/CIGPFICORP then charged off. 

Will be so glad when they are finally gone forever...

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.