Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DV Letter - Short or Long?

tag
Freefall
Regular Contributor

DV Letter - Short or Long?

So I am about to compose my first DV letter to a CA (Portfolio Recovery Associates). I *belive* this is for an old account that is past SOL.

Anyway....  Can someone explain the rational behind a short and sweet DV letter vs. a longer, more details (demanding) one? I would think a longer, more demanding one would make them give up easier rather than just send some basic reply to cover their butts...

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: DV Letter - Short or Long?

Portfolio Recovery Associates is notoriously a pain in the butt, and in general, not very repsonsive and seem to repsond less the more you push. At least that has been my experience with them.

I would go simple with them, like really simple, personally.

I never understood the need for a super detailed DV letter, half the time you read what people write and the demand things that they have no legal basis asking for, and companies like PRA know that. They have legal teams too.

Everyone has their opinion and style, but I use very simplistic DV letters, and once they respond, then I started getting wordier depending on what I am looking to do.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I agree you need to keep it as simple as possible. Something like this is all you need:

"I pulled my credit bureau report, and I discovered that you claim I owe you a debt. Under § 809 of FDCPA, send me validation of this debt."

"You claim I owe you a debt. In accordance with FDCPA, send me validation of this debt."

"I received your letter claiming I owe you a debt. Per the FDCPA, send me validation of this debt."

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 4
Freefall
Regular Contributor

Ok, went with the short version;

To Whom it may concern;

I received your letter claiming I owe you a debt. Per § 809 of the FDCPA, please send me validation of this debt.

Sincerely,

Well see how it goes! Thanks for your guys input!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.