Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DV Letter backfired

tag
Denny33142
Regular Contributor

DV Letter backfired

I have a collection account on EQ that has been reporting since early 2010 from Credit Protection Association (Comcast bill), it was reporting only on EQ, i sent out a DV letter and now today they posted the collection account on TU!, i don't know if it was posted on Experian since i don't have access to that report.

So it looks like i woke up a sleeping bear by sending out that DV letter, and here i was happy that i had finally joined the 600 club on TU a few days ago.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: DV Letter backfired

If you DV'd them, they are prevented from further collection on the debt until such time as they have provided the requested debt validation.  FDCPA 809(b).

If you DV'd, and they thereafter reported their collection to a CRA, there are numerous authorities for holding that reporting to a CRA is a collection activity barred under section 809(b) when an unanswered DV request is pending.

It looks illegal to me.

Message 2 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@RobertEG wrote:

If you DV'd them, they are prevented from further collection on the debt until such time as they have provided the requested debt validation.  FDCPA 809(b).

If you DV'd, and they thereafter reported their collection to a CRA, there are numerous authorities for holding that reporting to a CRA is a collection activity barred under section 809(b) when an unanswered DV request is pending.

It looks illegal to me.

....provided OP mailed the DV inside the 30 days.

OP, did you mail the DV within 30 days of receiving the dunning letter?

Message 3 of 5
Denny33142
Regular Contributor

I have never received any letter from the CA or even been contacted by them, i simply noticed that they were reporting on EQ and decided to send a DV letter.

Message 4 of 5
mompreneur1
New Contributor

BUMP

Anyone have an answer for this one? I too have a couple of items on my CR I would like to DV but have yet to receive any collection notices as all items have surpassed SOL. Interested on the response. Thanks Smiley Happy 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.