Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DV and collection activity

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DV and collection activity

Help!!!  I asked for a collection agency to validate a debt.  But the rep told me that it's law to demand payment in full 24 hours after if their is proper validation is received.  Is this true? 

Message Edited by llecs on 04-21-2009 06:54 PM
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Debt Validation

No, the law does not say that you have to pay within 24 hrs if you request validation, so be relieved.  You're dealing with a CA--they will use any and all tactics.  Remain calm and think through how you want to deal with the situation.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DV and collection activity

Did you send a letter requesting validation or do it via phone? If via phone, send them a letter CMRRR requesting validation.

It may be their policy to ask for payment within 24 hours, but until they validate they can't ask for payment.

Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Todemama4, I split your post to form a new thread here to keep the other on-topic. I had to edit the subject line but didn't change anything else. If you'd like to change the subject line to something else, click "Options" and then "Edit Message".

To answer your question, if you sent a DV, they can't engage in collection activity until they validate. Once they validate, then they can call, write, etc. If they have yet to validate, they cannot collect. Doing so would violate the FDCPA.

Also, never ever never call or talk to a CA. Ignore their calls if they are calling you. If they haven't validated, then you may want to take pictures of your caller ID to document what they are doing. Also save any collection letters, if any come in.

To clarify, did you mail your DV letter via certified mail?

Edit to add....I am a slow typer...
Message Edited by llecs on 04-21-2009 07:00 PM
Message 4 of 5
Mel2010
Valued Member

Hello am new there and was looking around can't find DV letter and someone tell me where I can find a copy of one please and also I and a CC that on my CR with three different close date how do I go about that on to have it update right and pay what I really owe them and to have it come off my CR

Thanks

Starting Score:EQ:599, TU: 602, 3/4/2010
Current Score:EQ-624,5/2/2010, 633 as of 5/11/2010
New current Score: EQ:638, TU:642 Ex:642 08/07/2010
Goal Score730

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.