Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DV caused deletion? What?

tag
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

DV caused deletion? What?

So this is weird...

A couple of weeks ago I sent a DV letter to a CA. Extremely basic, maybe two sentences.  "I pulled my CR recently and discovered two entries (listed acct #s). Under 809, please send validation" or thereabouts. I got a SW alert the other day for a FICO score increase, which came with a report. I checked the  report, and they were both off. I pulled TU the same day, and they were still on there, but I know the bureaus work at different speeds.

Yesterday I got mail from the CA. Paraphrasing, the first paragraph said "This letter is a rseponse to your request for validation and dispute (I didn't dispute, unless a DV is disputing??). Be advised we contacted our client who confirmed your name and address" They also included a copy of the bill in question.

Second paragraph "We have reported this incident to the consumer reporting agencies. However, in acknowledgement of your dispute, we have requested this account be removed from all three bureaus with 30 days, may take longer, blah blah. If you have any questions, please call"

And the footer or last paragraph specifically said "This is for the limited intention of (I forget the wording) and is NOT an attempt to collect a debt".

Can someone tell me what just happened?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: DV caused deletion? What?

Couldn't validate, so they passed it off to another, or returned it to the OC.

Message 2 of 11
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

I forgot to add tho. In the envelope was a copy of the bill in question. Isnt that validation?
Message 3 of 11
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Weird....what's the OC?

Message 4 of 11
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Cable company
Message 5 of 11
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Ehhh... you'll have another knocking shortly. Why they withdrew...who knows? Bill look legit?

Message 6 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

All they need to provide is who is collecting and the amount.  If you asked for the name and address of the OC or an itemization of the debt, they must also include those.

If they went to the OC and got a bill/statement, they went above what is required.  But, yes, it is validation.

A DV is a dispute of the debt but not of a dispute of reporting under the FCRA so it cannot be entered on your CR.

They do appear to have validated so why they chose to delete I have no clue.

Message 7 of 11
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@guiness56 wrote:

All they need to provide is who is collecting and the amount.  If you asked for the name and address of the OC or an itemization of the debt, they must also include those.

If they went to the OC and got a bill/statement, they went above what is required.  But, yes, it is validation.

A DV is a dispute of the debt but not of a dispute of reporting under the FCRA so it cannot be entered on your CR.

They do appear to have validated so why they chose to delete I have no clue.

Actually Guiness, I'm glad you chimed in. The CA is ERC, and if I remember, you posted that you got them off your CR with a simple DV, which is exactly what I did (could be Shogun, maybe I'm getting my mods mixed up Smiley Happy. I think there is also one other person who has posted about getting the same letter. I thought they did what they were supposed to when I send a DV, I'm just curious why they are deleting? Not complaining, just wondering.

Message 8 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I have used a DV and got Calvary deleted.  I could have also had ERC done that way too.  It was a long time ago.

I don't know.  Even though they validated, with all the incorrect/inaccurate reporting CAs tend to do, maybe they thought it was safer to just delete.

Now if it is your debt, I would pay it before another CA pops up.

Message 9 of 11
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@guiness56 wrote:

I have used a DV and got Calvary deleted.  I could have also had ERC done that way too.  It was a long time ago.

I don't know.  Even though they validated, with all the incorrect/inaccurate reporting CAs tend to do, maybe they thought it was safer to just delete.

Now if it is your debt, I would pay it before another CA pops up.

As an example, here is another post where someone got the same letter I did, with the same results:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Enhanced-Recovery-Deletion-1st-One/m-p/249136...

Guin, if I do my research and determine it's a valid debt and my debt, who would I even pay at that point? And how do I make sure it doesn't go back on my report?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.