Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DV'd medical collection

tag
ruger33
New Contributor

DV'd medical collection

So I DV'd a medical collection for my wife. They sent back copies of procedures performed and amounts owed. My issue is why does a collection agency have access to medical records? Sounds messed up to me. I'd have been fine with the OC and amount owed.

Any Ideas?

Gardening with one hand as I weed with the other...
400s LP 4/13 525 LP 6/13... Forever climbing,1st goal 600s
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
clevercandle
Established Member

Re: DV'd medical collection

My issue is why does a collection agency have access to medical records? Sounds messed up to me. I'd have been fine with the OC and amount owed.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Wow that is really upsetting! I saw something here on the forum about Hippa Laws. If you put that in the search bar lots of discussions come up. Maybe what you are looking for. Good Luck!

>
Message 2 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It is perfectly legal according to the HIPAA laws.  They are allowed to have them in the collection of a debt.  They cannot be sent to anyone other than the consumer.

Message 3 of 4
DaBears
Senior Contributor

+1 guiness. There is nothing illegal for a CA to have medical procedures contained within the file they have from the OC. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.