Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DV letter no response. What next?

tag
nativenyer
Frequent Contributor

DV letter no response. What next?

I sent a DV letter to a CA.  This account is already reporting and has been for some time apparently (4 years).  Just checking my reports at the start of the new year.  Anyway, I sent the letter with a 30 day time frame for a response.  I haven't heard back and the account is still on my credit reports (I've obtained copies for May).  What can I do next if anything?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Jaxavier
New Contributor

Re: DV letter no response. What next?

Dispute the account with the CRAs.

Message 2 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Unless there is something inaccurate about the reporting there is nothing you can do.  A CA is not required to respond to a DV at all.

There is a difference between the "dispute" via a DV letter and one to the CRAs  One has nothing to do with the other.

Message 3 of 5
nativenyer
Frequent Contributor

I'm trying to figure out the amount they are charging me on this account?  This is a four year old account and it's past my state's SOL but I want them to show me how they came to amount they have listed.  I just have to allow them to keep reporting?

Message 4 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If the DV was timely, which means sent within 30 days of receiving a dunning notice, that puts in place a cease collections bar, and no they cannot continue collection activity which includes reporting, until they validate.  However, if you received a dunning notice 4 years ago and just sent them a DV, no, they do not have to respond or stop collection activity.

If they are not repsonding to a DV, write them and ask for an accounting of the debt.

They can add interest and fees if they original agreement and your state laws allow.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.