Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DV new CA???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DV new CA???

Paid off a CA back in July.  Now a new CA is attempting to collect the same debt.  Same amount owed, same OC, just new CA.  Should I DV the new CA or dispute with CRA?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: DV new CA???

Both.

DV is to request that they verify that there is an actual debt.  Disputes are to obtain correction or deletion of information inaccurately reported to your CR.  They are separate, and both would seem to apply in your situation.

I would suggest a DV to the debt collector, and a separate letter to them clearly identified as being  a direct dispute under FCRA 623(a)(8).  The direct dispute has a compulsory period for response and requirements to correct the inaccurate information.  A DV letter does not.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks RobertEg.

If I send a DV and the Direct Dispute to the new CA is there distinctive language that would be helpful (besides the reference to FCRA 623(a)(8))?  I mean, do I just request that pursuant to 623(a)(8) they remove the invalid collection account?  Or is the direct dispute the same as the the normal DV process with the exception of the time constraints?  I guess what I'm really asking is what are the differences between the two processes?   

I also thougt that at some point a CA had to send you something saying they were trying to collect a debt.  I understand that they don't necessarily have to do that before reporting, but don't they need to send something at some point?  It was just reported on 10/10/11 but says it was opened in 7/11 (same month I paid the original CA).  I did initiate a dispute online with Experian and also faxed and e-mailed a short DV letter.   

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nevermind - I got an e-mail back saying that they will be deleting the tradeline.  The rep stated that the OC still has the account listed as an open debt.  So I guess my next step is to call them (Cox Communications) to make sure this is straightened out once and for all. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.