Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DV or what?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DV or what?

First some background information: In 2008, I received a bill from Entergy stating that I owed them almost $1500 or my electricity would be disconnected. I had paid all of my power bills on time. So, I immediately called them, knowing that the notice was wrong. When I spoke with a CSR, he told me that apparently my meter had been broken for some time and that they had just figured it out. So, they were estimating what I thought I owed. I asked them what the estimate was based on and he could not give me an answer. I, of course, argued with them. First of all, it was not my fault that the meter was broken and their reader didn't pick up on it. And if they didn't know, then how in the world was I supposed to know (I don't know anyone, who actually checks their meters EVER). Second, if their estimate was based on past use (one possible explanation given to me by CSR), their estimates were wrong because they were based on 2 people living in the home with different schedules. I had been divorced for a year (so lived by myself), worked a full-time job, and a part-time job. So, I was rarely home, kept my a/c and heater low until I got home which was usually late at night. Entergy refused to budge or provide any documentation supporting their estimate. They wouldn't even compromise. I was planning on moving anyway and told them that I refused to pay unless they could. 

Anyway, that was the last I heard from Entergy. Now, fast forward to almost 4 years later and I received a dunning notice from a CA, who is collecting for Entergy. I'm currently going through underwriting for a house (should be finalized next week). Closing is set for 6/18. Do I DV the CA? IMHO, Entergy cannot provide the documentation that the debt is mine and valid (unless they're willing to show me meter readings). Any other suggestions?

BTW - the CA is Convergent.

TIA!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: DV or what?

I'd wait until after closing to do anything. I wouldn't want to rock the boat. After you move, then I'd DV them and see what they have to say.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DV or what?

@llecs wrote:

I'd wait until after closing to do anything. I wouldn't want to rock the boat. After you move, then I'd DV them and see what they have to say.

Thank you. That's exactly what I was thinking. It hasn't shown up on my CR. So, my other concern is it showing up out of the blue before closing....

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.