TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Re: Dad/brothers joint JUDGEMENT

I've read on here that judgments sometime report indefinitely! 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 2 of 6
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

@Whitneyy wrote:

I've read on here that judgments sometime report indefinitely! 

I think that's if they aren't automatically removed. From what I understand, if they are being reported past the 7 year mark, you just dispute them and the agencies are required by law to remove them? Any and all insight is welcome!

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 3 of 6
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

Anyone???
TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Judgements are generally not something to ignore, unless they are "judgement proof", meaning that collection attempts are futile, due to their lack of income, or income type. If for example the father is on SS and the brother is disabled or something. However if both are gainfully employed they risk wage garnishment at any time.

Paying it will not reset anything (report wise) but the judgment itself can be "renewed" every few years (depending on your state) if not paid. I would advise settling it if they can do so.

You can't GW a judgement. Some states allow the judgment to be removed or vacated if paid or settled.

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Aside from any credit reporting issues, the judgment is a court order that they pay.

Judgments have periods of enforceability, normally ten years, which can normally be extended.

If the judgment remains unsatisfied, the prevailing plaintiff can go back to the court and request an additional order specifying terms for payment, such as garnihment of pay.

I would never advise one not to pay when a court has ordered them to do so, and can continue to exercise its authority get the $$ without first consulting an attorney.

As for the credit reporting isssues, judgments are normally excluded after 7 years from their date of entry.

However, CR exclusion does not mean the consumer is no longer required to pay, or that others wont become aware of the judgment via means other than a simple pull of the consumer's credit report.  It remains in the public record, and can readily be found by a public records search.

Judgments are normally not "reported" by the prevailing plaintiff or the courts, they are obtained by the CRAs via public records searches.

CRAs dont do GW deletions of accurate information.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.