Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Date of First Deliquency Changed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Date of First Deliquency Changed

I have a charge off on my Equifax credit report. The Date of First Deliquency was been reported by the creditor as October 2009, creditor local credit union. Due to the seven year time period it was suppose to come off this/next month. However, I noted that this month the creditor updated the date to 08/10! Are they allowed to change date of first deliquency? I have recently initiated aN Equifax dispute by faxing them copies of my old credit reports with (DOFD) highlighted. Is there any other steps I need to be taking??
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Date of First Deliquency Changed

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a charge off on my Equifax credit report. The Date of First Deliquency was been reported by the creditor as October 2009, creditor local credit union. Due to the seven year time period it was suppose to come off this/next month. However, I noted that this month the creditor updated the date to 08/10! Are they allowed to change date of first deliquency? I have recently initiated aN Equifax dispute by faxing them copies of my old credit reports with (DOFD) highlighted. Is there any other steps I need to be taking??

They are allowed to change it only if they discover the original reported date was incorrect. Do you know the actual account history to establish the correct DoFD? Do you have bank record/statement from that time period? Could be someone just fat fingered the entry while doing an update.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately I don't have any account history document to establish DoFD. Creditor has been reporting 10/2009 date for years now. Should I submit a dispute in writing to challenge DoFD? Hopefully Equifax dispute rectifies the issue.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Unfortunately I don't have any account history document to establish DoFD. Creditor has been reporting 10/2009 date for years now. Should I submit a dispute in writing to challenge DoFD? Hopefully Equifax dispute rectifies the issue.

You might just call the CU and let them know that it is incorrect.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good for you for staying on top of it! Good luck getting it resolved. You definitely should be able to do so.

Message 5 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would first call the creditor and inquire as to why they changed the reported DOFD.

They may then have something of substance upon which you may then base your dispute.

As it stands, the simple fact that it was updated is not determinative of its inaccuracy.....

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So spoke with the creditor and they will be updating the credit report for DOFD as 10/2009. Let's see hopefully this listing gets purged on the next update.
Message 7 of 10
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Could be someone just fat fingered the entry while doing an update.

Hey Norman, I liked your "fat-fingered" phrase here.  But isn't it interesting how things usually get "fat-fingered" in there benefit??  How come it rarely gets "fat-fingered" in the direction of the consumer?  Ok, I just used the phrase "fat-fingered" 4 times in this post.  I think that's my phrase for the day!  

"Hey Daisy, you "fat-fingered" these numbers all over the place!"

LOL! 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 8 of 10
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

OP, I'm  glad you were able to get the DofFD corrected.  That would have been very disheartening.  I also keep old CR's around for this very purpose.  Collection Agencies are not to be trusted by any means.  They have a reputation to "fat-finger" stuff all over the place!

Congrats on your diligence!

Best Credit wishes to You!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Btw I am still learning all the acronyms in these forums. OP - assuming original post. OA- original creditor- DOFD etc.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.