Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Date of first delinquency question?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Date of first delinquency question?

I have a collection account from a dentist.  The date they billed me for was in 6/2007.  The collection agency they hired is reporting the date as 9/2009, which I believe is the date they sold it, not the date I was first behind on the account.  The 6/2007 appointment (the ironically enough was just a charge for a missed appointment) was the last time I saw them.  I haven't been back since.  I verified the debt with the collection agency and the bill they sent me also says 6/2007 but there letter indicates that since I just paid it, the account will stay on my report for 7 years from the date it was paid?  I thought it was date of first delinquency, and if so is there a way I can dispute the date of 9/2009, because the 2007 date would make it much older.  This is my newest collection account, so I think it also might make a difference score wise...even if it doesn't two years is a long time extra for it to be on my report!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Date of first delinquency question?

What field shows the 9/2009? If it is in the "date opened" field, then ignore it. This is when the CA took over. If it is in the DOFD (not DOLA, date reported or anything else), then they are reporting incorrectly.

Message 2 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

The collection should only show on your reports for 7.5 years from the DOFD. The date you paid wont alter this.

For a medical collection, the DOFD would be the date of service, or in your case the date of the missed appointment.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys...apparently you are correct the date here at myfico is not the DOFD.  I double checked on my free credit report directly from equifax and it is listed correctly.  Thanks for the info, now I will know what to look for.

Message 4 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Yeah unfortunately the DOFD only shows on Equifax. The other two CRAs only show an estimated date of removal.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.