Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dave Ramsey is Right

tag
Cotton_Britches
Frequent Contributor

Dave Ramsey is Right

After building my EQ score up to the high 600's, a new collection was added and it dropped 34 points. I'm starting to think that Dave Ramsey's plan of avoiding credit and eventually NOT having a FICO score is correct.

I'm sick of the yo yo.

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Dave Ramsey is Right

Hmmmm! What exactly did Ramsey say.

Message 2 of 9
Cotton_Britches
Frequent Contributor

@fused wrote:

He has a credit score of zero because he hasn't used credit in twenty plus years. His viewpoint is that the credit score is really a "debt score," and the only way to really be financially free is to pay cash for the things you want, and not allow yourself to be jerked around by the CRA's and FICO. 

Even the CRA's themselves will tell you that we (the consumers) are NOT their customers. The lenders are their customers. It took legislation, like the FCRA, etc. just to force them to give a hoot about the rights of consumers.

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
Message 3 of 9
JoeBJay20
Established Contributor

@missypants wrote:

@fused wrote:

He has a credit score of zero because he hasn't used credit in twenty plus years. His viewpoint is that the credit score is really a "debt score," and the only way to really be financially free is to pay cash for the things you want, and not allow yourself to be jerked around by the CRA's and FICO. 

Even the CRA's themselves will tell you that we (the consumers) are NOT their customers. The lenders are their customers. It took legislation, like the FCRA, etc. just to force them to give a hoot about the rights of consumers.

Ramsey has his good points, but he can also be a bit of an extremist.  He only focuses on the negatives of credit without acknowledging any of the positives.  Truth be told, people without the discipline to control their finances will get into financial trouble with or without credit.

Message 4 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@missypants wrote:

@fused wrote:

Absolutely correct!

One of the biggest reasons I hang out in these forums is to share my experience and help others not to be victims. Banks, CCCs and other lenders will do whatever they can to take every penny we have. The more people they have in debt, the more they make. Over the years I've learned a lot, have changed my behavior and I have no debt even though I use CCs. The trick is I pay NO interest and I make the cards work for ME in the form of points and cash back. Once a creditor tries to mess with me, I kick them to the curb. I refuse to be enslaved by banks, CCCs, CRAs and so on.

Message 5 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Brother Dave likes to say that he has a credit score of 0, but he doesn't, at least not a FICO credit score. There is no such thing as a 0 score in FICO. The lowest you go is 300, I think, and you have to be in abysmal shape to have that.

Instead, he has no score, assuming that he has no active credit lines, including a mortgage, that are reporting. He is living off the credit grid, which is fine for him, as I'm sure that he can pay cash for his home and his vehicles.

Most of the rest of us will need to finance a home, and possibly an auto, although I know that ferocious personal saving for years can allow one to buy a house for cash. It's a lot easier to qualify for a mortgage if you have a credit history. Otherwise, the lender has nothing to base an opinion on as to whether you will faithfully make your mortgage payments, and so you're going to wind up with a higher interest rate in most cases.

A credit score only becomes a "debt score" if you allow debt to accumulate. Pay everything in full every month, never be late on anything, and you will be fine.

CC's are great personal finance tools, if you don't let yourself get seduced into the Keeping Up with the Joneses mentality and go into debt to do so.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 9
Kiwill
Frequent Contributor

+1 to haulingthescoreup comment.

Starting Score: EQ 729, TU 752, EX ? (1/1/2011)
Current Score: EQ 696, TU 718, EX 686 - PSECU (5/17/2011)
Goal Score: ALL 800+ by December 31, 2011

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
PROUD MEMBER OF THE 700 CLUB!
Message 7 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I like Dave Ramsey too.

Message 8 of 9
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I differ with Hauling slightly. If Dave Ramsey has no active tradelines ETC ETC then he would not qualify for a FICO score. In that case his score is zero. If does have active trade lines etc the lowest FICO score you can get is a 330.  I also agree with Fused I love making my credit work for me not the other way around.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.