Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DeVry is Dumb!

tag
felyasocal
New Contributor

DeVry is Dumb!

So I was contacted in September by DeVry Finance Department that I had an oustanding $1000 on my loan from DeVry. They were not reporting it anywhere, nor was I aware of it from any other source. I thought I had closed the door with DeVry (Which should be sued for stupidity alone)

I made an initial over the phone payment of $500. in Septermber and then wrote a check out for $40 dollars in October. Then as I was expecting the November statement, I recieved a letter from a law firm\collection company that because my account was severely delinquent, the matter was referred to them. ( Collection company did not report to any of the credit agencies ) Though DeVry did add this on one of my CRs as severely delinquent

I called DeVry and they can't even find these two payments. They are saying the reason it was sent to collection was because the last payment they have registered was from March of 2013. Obviously incorrect. So I got all the info to where to fax the letter and I also i included the bank statement and copy of the check. I will be calling them tomorrow. I was told they need at least 24 hours to process the information

AM I TAKING THE RIGHT COURSE OF ACTION? I AM BEYOND PISSED RIGHT NOW. THEY HAVE LIED TO ME ( ON OTHER MATTERS ) SO MANY TIMES AND HAVE DESTROYED MY CREDIT. I WOULD HAVE AN 800 SCORE PROBABLY RIGHT NOW IF NOT FOR DAMN DEVRY. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I CAN DO TO MAKE SURE THEY REMOVE THIS FROM MY CREDIT REPORT?

Thank you,

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: DeVry is Dumb!

I'd call and see what they say...

I would also look on the back of those payments, or at least on the $40 one to see who endorsed it, just in case the CA did that and they are forwarding the payments to them.

Did you have any sort of pay-for-not-reporting type of agreement before the $500?

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Since the OC has reported it, what is the current balance they are showing on the account?

If it does not reflect the payments made, then you could file a direct dispute with them over the accuracy of the current balance, forcing them to conduct a reasonable investigation and report back to you with either correction or verification within 30 days.  If they verify without conducting a reasoble investigation or contrary to the facts known to them, that gives rise to its own vioation of the direct dispute requirements.  At least get their formal statement in wrting, which could be helpful should you later pursue any litigation over ther cavalier treatment of your payments.

If you file a direct dispute, include the statement that FCRA 623(a)(2) requires prompt update of any information that is necessary to reflect its current accuracy.

They are thus, in your opinion, in non-compliance with the FCRA.

Message 3 of 4
felyasocal
New Contributor

I finally got through to someone with half a brain. He was very  helpful. Explained that my account simply fell through the hole of their own BS. I had to make a payment to stay current and have like 5 or 6 more payments until I am done. They will also remove any negative information from my credit report (we'll have to follow up on that in about a month or so)

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.