Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealer made hard inquiry for car purchase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dealer made hard inquiry for car purchase

I bought a new car recently. I had a pre-approved loan from NFCU and paid the balance with a check. I never asked about a loan, nor did I apply for one. I did enter some information on a loan form, "because it has the right fields". I was hesitant. Then he had me sign it. I didn't want to, but I decided to cross out the "signee requests a loan" text and sign. At first I was worried about loan fraud, but in an e-mail, he again confirmed that I did not request a loan and he did not submit  a loan application. The problem I am left with is that there is a hard inquiry on my Experian CR. It says, "A lender (dealership name) has requested a copy of your Credit Report for an automobile loan." I contacted Experian. They confirmed it is a hard inquiry and say it can only be removed with an identity theft claim, but I can do it over the phone. Also, it will trigger a 90 day fraud alert. (It seems they are discouraging me). I contacted the dealer, but he claims he cannot request that the pull be "hard" or "soft", even though it was for "verification of identity". So, I will escalate in a written request to the dealer, but I'll probably have to trigger the FA to get it removed. A big deal for a small matter, but I need to be as unforgiving as my adversaries in the credit fight. Am I mistaken that the dealer has done something wrong?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Dealer made hard inquiry for car purchase

The best, and most comprehensive, discussion of when an auto dealer can pull your credit report was provided by the FTC in a staff opinion letter dated Feb. 11, 1998.  The FTC opinion letter, reproduced below, gives a specific opinion that payment by way of a personal check does provide permissible purpose to pull the consumer's credit reprt:

"1. Section 604(a)(3)(F) permits CRAs to provide consumer reports to any party who has a "legitimate business need for the information in connection with a business transaction that is initiated by the consumer." You ask whether this provision allows a dealer to obtain a consumer report on a person who "comes to an automobile dealership and requests information" from a salesman about one or more automobiles. In our view it does not, because a request for general information about products and prices offered does not involve a business transaction initiated by the consumer.

"More generally, you ask "when is the beginning of a business transaction" initiated by the consumer? In responding to this question, it is important to note that Section 604(a)(3)(F) limits this "business need" permissible purpose to transactions (i) that are "initiated" by the consumer and (ii) where the seller has a "legitimate business need" for the information. The staff's view is that an automobile dealer may obtain a report only in those circumstances in which the consumer clearly understands that he or she is initiating the purchase or lease of a vehicle and the seller has a legitimate business need for the consumer report information in order to complete the transaction.

"For example, a consumer who asks a dealer questions about prices and financing is not necessarily indicating an intent to purchase or lease a vehicle from that particular dealer. Nor does the dealer have a "legitimate" business need for a consumer report in this situation. The consumer may simply be comparison shopping. In such a situation, the dealer must obtain written permission from the consumer before obtaining a consumer report. If the dealer would like to see a consumer's credit report before answering general questions about the availability of financing, this must be explained to the consumer and written permission must be obtained. In the same way, a request to "test drive" a vehicle does not indicate an intent to initiate the purchase or lease of the vehicle. Accordingly, if a consumer asks to test drive a vehicle, the dealer must obtain written permission from the consumer before obtaining a report.

"Only in those circumstances where it is clear both to the consumer and to the dealer that the consumer is actually initiating the purchase or lease of a specific vehicle and, in addition, the dealer has a legitimate business need for consumer report information may the dealer obtain a report without written permission. In this regard, we note that obtaining information for negotiation purposes does not constitute a "legitimate" business need. The dealer must have a specific need for the information directly related to the completion of the transaction. For example, a dealer may obtain a report, if one is necessary, in order to arrange financing requested by the consumer.(1) The dealer may also obtain a report to check a consumer's creditworthiness when the consumer presents a personal check to pay for the vehicle. By contrast, a permissible purpose would not arise if a consumer intends to pay by cash.

FCRA 819 specifies that a party who knowingly and willfully obtains information from a consumer reporting agency under false pretenses shall be fined under Title 18, United States Code, imprisoned for not more than 2 years, or both."

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that. This definitely hurts my case. I still don't see why it would be a hard pull. It was my understanding that I have to give authorization for a hard pull. I also wonder about my report saying "A lender has requested a copy of your Credit Report for an automobile loan." This is factually incorrect, and I thought they have to remove incorrect info.

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The structure of FCRA 604 is intended specifically to avoid the need for specific consumer authorization in order to obtain a credit report.

It defines specific purposes which, if present, are themselves "permissible purpose" to obtain a consumer report.

Specific consumer authorization is only required if the party does not have a permissible purpose.

Otherwise, approval of credit and business transactions would come to a virtual crawl.

The FTC opinion letter relates to consumer-initiated business transactions, not consumer-initiated requests for credit.

They opine that paying by personal check would provide a legitimate business need to review a consumer's credit, as personal checks can bounce and thus become an unpaid debt.

Since the permissible purpose was not for a loan, but rather for their consideration of approval of a business transaction, then yes, you could dispute the accuracy of that statement.  However, that would be easily correctible, and would not affect the issue of whether the actual permissible purpose of a consumer-initiated business transaction, as opposed to a loan, was accurate. 

I, personally, would not dispute that statement if the pull was still a permissible purpose, but your call.....

Message 4 of 5
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

The dealer screwed up. I use the same app for pulling credit as I do for checking identity. You leave the social out and it will cehck ID and run you against OFAC, but won't ding your credit. Now can they fix it? Who knows and I'm sorry you went through this. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.