cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with Navient/Sallie Mae Private loans in defualt?

tag
egold1234
Contributor

Dealing with Navient/Sallie Mae Private loans in defualt?

I just had a Chapter 7 bankruptcy discharged in December of last year. I owe approx 30k on 3 Sallie Mae loans. It looks like my last payment was on 6/11 based on my TU report. With a drop off date of 04/2018.

I tried several years ago to work something out but they wanted an entire year of salary of a down payment, so I couldn't do it.

Im in NY so my SOL is 6 years. What would you guys do? Should I just wait 2 more years to pass the SOL or do I try to pay them?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Dealing with Navient/Sallie Mae Private loans in defualt?

I presume the BK did not discharge the loans?  Are they govenment insured or guanranteed loans?

Waiting two more years is certainly a risk you can choose to take, but they can initiate legal action prior to expiration of SOL.

Have they charged off the debt or referred to a debt collector?

Message 2 of 3
egold1234
Contributor

Re: Dealing with Navient/Sallie Mae Private loans in defualt?

Private loans that were not discharged. I got a call from EOS CCA, debt collector, offering to settle for $9000 (which I dont have), or pay the 26k out at 0.001% intrest.

Should I try to settle? Wait for SOL? My goal is to protect my credit as much as possible.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.