Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with a judgement

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dealing with a judgement

When I pulled my credit report this month I was in for a big surprise.  I had JUDGEMENT!  I went on unemployment for a short time in 2012 when I moved from Alaska to WA to CO back to WA all within a nine month timespan..  Unemp accidentally overpaid and I was making payments back slowly, but surely once I started steady income, but was drowning in back owed bills.  This one kills me the most on my credit report.  I remember getting a letter in the mail last summer saying that they were going to place a judgement on me if I didn't pay it off (I missed a couple months of pmts due to divorce and moving out on my own), so I called them immediately because I had just put my past payment (in FULL $279) in the mail a couple days before getting the letter.  They said okay it wouldn't effect me then.  So this popping up on my report was a surprise and I actually had to call the court to see what it was for.  They told me to call unemployment and get a satisfaction of judgement letter sent to them.  I called unemp and the lady says in her own words that the letters and payment just overlapped in the mail and that even though I did pay it in full it was just bad timing so it got put on.  However, that they had sent a letter to the court 8/15/2014; so they would resubmit the letter to the court system.  This makes me wonder if it would not have gotten reported has the court gotten the letter correctly (or it got lost in the mail?!)...it stings.  She said to call back in three weeks and make sure it went and that I should have gotten a letter too, but I never did.  So would send me another copy too.  What is the best way to go about, if there is any, possibly getting this removed?  Would a GW letter work in this case or is it a little trickier?  Thx in advance!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dealing with a judgement

If there is one thing I know about unemployment (I've been through hell and back with them) is to keep on their butts.. When I was in a situation with an unemployment judgement they supposedly mailed a form to the courts but they also mailed me one. I disputed with all three bureaus by mailing the form that I received from unemployment along with the dispute form and it was removed from my credit in a few weeks. Only when I disputed it came of my CRs 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!  Is it better to to wait until the courts would have gotten the settlement letter (as well as myself) to do the dispute?  Or should I do the dispute now while it's showing as unpaid, even though it was paid for?  

Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you!  Is it better to to wait until the courts would have gotten the settlement letter (as well as myself) to do the dispute?  Or should I do the dispute now while it's showing as unpaid, even though it was paid for?  

You can certainly dispute as the info is incorrect. Typically with a judgment in order to have it removed from the CR a motion has to be filed in the court that granted it to vacate on grounds its been paid, only a judge can vacate a judgment. A GW letter is not appropriate on a judgment.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.