Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with collections?

tag
Frankton
New Visitor

Dealing with collections?

Hi all,

Appologies if I posted this in the wrong section, I could not find a category that fit.

I recieved an out of province speeding ticket 5 years ago in manitoba. I disputed it, and never recieved a response and had assumed it got thrown out. 5 years later, I start getting a collection agency calling my cell. I did a reverse phone lookup on them.. and in doing so it states that they specialize in traffic ticket collections for Manitoba. I have yet to speak with them, and its been about 6 months since they started calling.

As it stands right now,

-credit rating is unaffected

-no record of speeding on my drivers license (typically if you dont pay a speeding ticket they wont let you renew)

What's the best way to handle this? I'm afraid if I try to pay them off its going to show up on my credit... Also afraid if I don't pay them it will show up on my credit. It's obvious I'm beyond the point of disputing the infraction so I'd sooner just pay it off, just dont want to shoot myself in the foot in the process.

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Dealing with collections?

+1

You have two options.

Send an immediate DV, or give them a quick call and make a pay for not reporting offer.

If that call indicates they wont do a pay for not reporting, then immediately send them a DV, which will at least prevent reporting until such time as they provide the requested verification.

You ultimately cannot prevent their reporting if they are determined to do so, as they can immediately send verification and simultaneously report their collection.

No sure way to prevent reporting, so making them aware of willingness to pay may get their favorable ear.

Message 2 of 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Dealing with collections?

Are you a resident of Canada? You mentioned Manitoba in your post.

I'm not familiar with Canadian legislation pertaining to debt collection and credit reporting. Do you know if there is anything similar to the FCRA and FDCPA?
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.