Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debacle with credit union, a reversed payment, and my credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debacle with credit union, a reversed payment, and my credit report

tldr version: My CU accepted, then 3 days later reversed my credit card payment, and is now reporting a 30 days late to CR's.

Whole version: Hi everyone! Long time lurker, but recently I've been faced with an issue that I haven't been able to find addressed in past posts, so I thought I'd see if anyone had some advice.

I am a member of Truity Credit Union and in addition to multiple bank accounts and loans, I also have a credit card through them. Well, back in early August I scheduled a payment on my credit card for the due date (August 8th). When I submitted the payment I recieved a confirmation window and number confirming the payment. At some point after I made the payment, my bank account unexpectedly had another large charge go through, leaving it a few dollars short to cover the payment I had just made.

Then, fast forward one month, September rolls around, and I realize the day after my due date that I had forgotten to schedule a payment. I log on, immediately make a payment, then continue with my business, not thinking anything of it. A few weeks later I get a notification that my credit report has changed, and my account has been reported as 30 days late. It takes several days and 3-4 customer service people to figure out what happened, but eventually it's figured out that because my bank account was too low to cover the credit card payment (I will note, I DO have overdraft protection, and I would have gladly paid the fee to avoid all this mess), on August 11th, 3 days after my payment had been made and credited to my account, it was reversed. I recieved no notice that this was done, no letter, email, nothing. My bank account was hit with an overdraft fee, but the money was never actually taken from my account (recently, a customer service rep did acknowledge this, and refunded the fee to my account). And like I said, it took 3 days for the CU to uncredit me for my payment.

So, I'm pretty angry, because I realize I'm an idiot for not closely examining my credit card statements. Maybe others see it differently, but I feel like this is a combo of my mistakes with their automated system, and the result is now a huge screw up on my otherwise pristine credit report. I've been harassing the credit union about this for weeks, and they've been little help. About a month ago I finally got ahold of someone who seemed willing to look into it, she asked me to write an email explaining the situation that she would forward on to the woman who handles all their credit reporting. I wrote it October 6th, never heard back. I called repeatedly today, only to find out that she only forwarded it upon my call today.

I spoke with the credit reporting woman, who has completely refused to work with me on this. She claims she spoke with a supervisor who agrees with her. Her arguement is that the automated system did exactly what it was supposed to do, which is reverse the payment after it discovered the bank account being short, which makes it as if the payment was never made. Since it was never made, by being late on my September payment, I was legitmently 30+ days late. She actually accused me of trying to get them to "incorrectly report information just because you (I) wanted it". She says they were under no obligation to notify me of the reversal because it was my responsibility to check my account.

So, after all this mass of confusion, my question is, what now? I was considering going into a branch tomorrow to see if someone could help me, but at this point I don't think it will do much good. I'm familiar with the dispute process and willing to go that path, but do I have an actual arguement or would they just quickly throw it out and side with the credit union? I have my statements showing that the payment was made, but they also show that a few days later it was reversed. I'm kicking myself for not writing down the confirmation number. I'm so frustrated because I've enjoyed being a member of this credit union for years, and now this has me wanting to immediately cancel all of my accounts and move on.

Apologies for the lengthiness and thanks in advance for any help!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Debacle with credit union, a reversed payment, and my credit report

So, after all this mass of confusion, my question is, what now? I was considering going into a branch tomorrow to see if someone could help me, but at this point I don't think it will do much good. I'm familiar with the dispute process and willing to go that path, but do I have an actual arguement or would they just quickly throw it out and side with the credit union? I have my statements showing that the payment was made, but they also show that a few days later it was reversed. I'm kicking myself for not writing down the confirmation number. I'm so frustrated because I've enjoyed being a member of this credit union for years, and now this has me wanting to immediately cancel all of my accounts and move on.

Apologies for the lengthiness and thanks in advance for any help!

What now? Well, from where I'm standing you only have a couple of options. Option 1 - Bite the bullet, man up, put on your big girl panties, and what ever other euphemisms you can think of, but you need to accept the fact that you messed up. One time. Get over it and don't beat yourself up about as its not the end of the world.None of us are perfect and we all have made mistakes - many of them much worse and far more damaging than a single 30 day late on one account. Its going to ding your score somewhat, but if your CR's are otherwise spotless, its NOT going to be a huge ding, and it will lose its sting relatively quickly. After 24 months it will have no effect at all. Option 2 - includes all of option 1, plus "goodwilling" the CU to try to get them to remove the late. That does not mean browbeating them into submission with the adversarial stance you appear to have taken so far. The fact is that the credit reporting rep is 100% correct - the CU did nothing wrong. So you need to approach them, hat in hand, essentially begging for forgiveness, demonstrating changed behavior that is intended to prevent future lates, and being clear that you understand you are asking for a FAVOR, that they are under no obligation to grant. Thats what GW is all about.

Dispute process would be a total waste of time as you really have no grounds for a dispute. Yes, your bank *probably* should have covered it with the overdraft protection, but they didn't and you didn't notice - for an entire month. I don't know about you, but I log into my bank account every few days and check to make sure nothing 'unusual' is going on. After being too lackadaisical in the last year, I now make payments on my credit cards every two weeks - religiously, so that lates CAN'T occur. And I schedule the payments well in advance - a month, sometimes two.

Cancelling your accounts and 'moving on' would be a foolish thing to do, and would probably ding your scores as much or more than the single late as you would be killing your AAoA.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.