Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debating another EdFinancial GW letter

tag
Gotons
Regular Contributor

Debating another EdFinancial GW letter

Yes, I know it's near, if not totally impossible to GW them, but I figured I would give it a try.  I'm a bit confused though as to how they're reporting.

I had a total of 8 student loans with them, which defaulted.  I've rehabbed my loans and my new lender is Nelnet.

However, here is where I'm confused.

Equifax is reporting 12 tradelines for EdFinancial, 8 of them negative, but it's reporting 4 more as positive.  The four that are reporting positive are the 4 with odd number accounts (1,3,5,7).  The bad ones look like this:

and the good ones like so:

There shouldn't be any good ones, but whatever...TU is only reporting 7 of the loans (not 8) as:

I guess my question is this:  Are they reporting correctly if they are showing their current status as 120 days late?  They've been rehabbed and paid off by the Gov't and have been assigned to a new lender.  I'm sure the false positive tradelines from EQ are helping my score, but is it worth it to try and GW EdFinancial, or is there something else I can try.  It seems that with my account, things aren't necessarily organized.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Gotons

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Gotons
Regular Contributor

Re: Debating another EdFinancial GW letter

After posting this in the student loan section, I'm wondering if this should be moved to the rebuilding credit section.  It's about rebuilding, but it deals with student loans....shrug.

Message 2 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Well, it does have to do with the reporting status of rehabbed SL's and how they're supposed to show up, so you'll probably get more specialized knowledge here. I think we need to wait for some of the SL experts to come through. Smiley Wink (And I'm definitely not one of them.)

Are the odd-numbered accounts from fall semester, and even-numbered from spring, or something? SL's amaze me with the way that they proliferate like wild onions in the spring. Smiley Tongue

Then, once you know if the reporting is a problem, if you want to go the GW route, you can maybe post over on Rebuilding.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 14
Gotons
Regular Contributor

I'm assuming the odd numbered accounts are Fall semesters and the even being Spring since the first loan I took out was for a Fall semester.  

Experian is actually reporting 8 accounts (correctly).  

I just find it odd that EQ is reporting 4 extra accounts (but in good standing), TU is only reporting 7, and EX reporting 8.

Message 4 of 14
Gotons
Regular Contributor

Just a little more information I've gathered now that I pulled my actual CR from annualcreditreport.com.

The EQ report is now even more confusing regarding my SL's.  

The four accounts that are showing as in good standing are actually still considered "Open Accounts".  I'm assuming this error is probably helping my score despite the fact the last time they reported was in 2005.  These "open SL accounts" have payments that are being factored into my monthly payment amount for installment loans under the Credit Summary page as well as a loan I took out through a finance company 5 years ago that was closed 2 years ago.  My installment loan monthly payment should be 407, but because of these additional student loans and the finance company, my monthly payment now shows 802.  Is this affecting how creditors see me when I apply for things?

The eight negative accounts still show a status of 120+ days late as previously stated, even though they were assigned to the gov't and have been bought by another lender.

UGH, this is all running together.  Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

We need some experienced eyes on this one, which mine are definitely not!

laz98 and Tazman81, are you out there? Anyone else with any experience in seeing all these duplications of SL tradelines?

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 14
laz98
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

We need some experienced eyes on this one, which mine are definitely not!

laz98 and Tazman81, are you out there? Anyone else with any experience in seeing all these duplications of SL tradelines?

i'm flattered, but unfortunately, i have no knowledge to contribute here Smiley Sad  i know the rehabbed accounts are usually duplicated, but they are usually even across reports, unlike OPs case.

Message 7 of 14
Gotons
Regular Contributor

Yeah, it's pretty frustrating...heh

Message 8 of 14
Gotons
Regular Contributor

Just fired off the GW's.  Hopefully some sense will be made of all of this.

Message 9 of 14
Gotons
Regular Contributor

Since I wasn't able to get much help over here, can someone please shoot this over to the rebuilding section?  I'm still at a loss on how to proceed with this.

Thanks!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.