Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debit is not mine, what can I do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debit is not mine, what can I do?

I just opened a letter today from a collection agency for past medical bills. In reading the itemized breakdown, I noticed that 3 of the 4 debits are not mine. They aren’t even under my name. What would be the proper course of action to take in correcting these mistakes? I have no problem paying my past debits but I’ll be damned if I’m going to take care of someone else’s.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Debit is not mine, what can I do?

I would call and speak with the OC.

IMO, avoid the CA at all cost.

If you can PIF, I would call up the OC, don't mention the CA or hearing from them, and I would state "I have a past due bill with your company that I would like to take care". If they tell you that it is in collections, say "I'm sorry it came to that, is there anyway you can pull it back from collections and accept payment". If they say they can't remove from collections, ask if they can accept payment.

If they are willing, make payment the way the HIPAA process letters instruct.

If they mention the debts that aren't yours, explain that those aren't yours and get it taken care of.

Tattedplumber wrote:
I just opened a letter today from a collection agency for past medical bills. In reading the itemized breakdown, I noticed that 3 of the 4 debits are not mine. They aren’t even under my name. What would be the proper course of action to take in correcting these mistakes? I have no problem paying my past debits but I’ll be damned if I’m going to take care of someone else’s.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Debit is not mine, what can I do?

Awesome, thanks for the info.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.