Not applicable

Debt Collection Territory

thanks

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Debt Collection Territory

It depends entirely on which collection agency you are worried about.

Some agencies, especially smaller ones, are only licensed/bonded in their home state or in nearby states.  These cannot "chase" a debtor into another state or outside of their license/bond area, so they typically will return a file to the original creditor for reassignment to someone who can.

Other agencies, especially the larger "famous" ones like PRA or Midland, are licensed/bonded in many states and can freely pursue debtors as long as the state the debtor is in is one of the ones where they are licensed/bonded.  They will retain local counsel if they need to file a suit.

Most larger creditors work with a network of collectors, so that they have the entire map covered by one agency or another for collection activity.

Smaller creditors may not have such a network, and may choose to just charge off debts for consumers who have moved outside their area.

Message 2 of 16
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I agree, I think it depends on the agency and where their limits are. I'd get more info on the agency you are concerned about to see where they fall.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Sorry, I am the collection agency. I'm a new, small business and I can't get a straight answer from the State of IL. So, if someone has a debt created in IL and moves to a new state they cannot be chased or held accountable for that balance? No demand letter or phone calls?
I have a company that wants to hire me for debt collection services but they are in CA and WI. CA has lenient collections laws and doesn't require a license or bond. Would I be able to work with this company despite only being licensed in IL? The state of IL said it depends on laws in Thwir state and not ours but I wanted second opinion as they have given me incorrect info before.

So your a CA, asking us how to help you track down and collect? Are you kidding?

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
No, I am asking other CA if they are familiar with laws regarding collecting out of state. These are CA offering information and I was directed here. Don't want to answer, then don't. That simple.

So CA's are telling you to come here and ask these questions? I think you're in the wrong place.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm just curious, do you have any collection accounts on any of your credit reports?
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do have reports on my credit. I got into the collection business to change the way it's run. And if I am in the wrong place my apologies. Many of the people responding to your questions are CA by the way. That's why I was directed here. I also have been providing info to debtors on how to settle w agencies. Using what I know from the business to provide info to debtors. Didn't realize I couldn't ask other CA questions on an open forum. 

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll take my questions elsewhere. Thanks
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.