Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Collector Calling My Place of Employment - Not me and not my debt

tag
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

Debt Collector Calling My Place of Employment - Not me and not my debt

So does this happen very often?

I got a call from our corporate office manager today who told me that EMI (I am guessing this is a debt collection place) sent them a letter about someone with my exact name, but a different SSN. Ironically, just a couple of weeks ago I'd told the office manager about bumping into another version of me (same name, same city, different address) who is a real deadbeat while I was working on my HELOC re-finance. She had all sorts of liens from the state department of taxation and so on. So the office manager thought it was interesting that they got a debt collection letter (or something) about someone with my name, and that the SSN didn't match mine.

After getting the letter, she phoned the place about it and said, "We have no one employed here with that SSN".

Does this happen a lot? Hate thinking that I have a bad credit doppelganger out there.

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
helaurin
New Contributor

Re: Debt Collector Calling My Place of Employment - Not me and not my debt

I wouldn't be so much concerned as to "does it happen a lot"... but that there's someone with your exact name, in your city, that's got bad credit... and it sounds like potential creditors for you and her actual creditors are getting you two mixed up.  Are your names truly identical, including middle names?  If there only difference is your middle names... I'd start using that in all legal, financial, professional and credit-related matters to help make it more obvious to collectors and anyone else who might be doing a background check that you are this other person are not the same. 

True story:  my significant other also has a somewhat common first-and-last name combination. When he was looking for an apartment just a couple of years ago, he found a place he liked.  His income, credit, etc. was fine - but the company that did the background check found several other people with his same name on the familywatchdog site and rejected his application - even though they could see from the photos of those people that he clearly wasn't them. 

So your good name does matter. 

Starting Score: 2014 775
Current Score: 822
Goal Score: 840

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

Our names are identical, right down to the middle name.

When I was doing my HELOC re-finance, the underwriters sent me a letter asking me to explain the liens on my property. I freaked. The letter included two case numbers, which I quickly looked up in the county court records online. Why the underwriters ever thought I had a lien on MY property is beyond me. My "evil twin" lives three miles from me, on a street where I have never lived, and the liens/court records all referenced THAT address/property. I have no liens on MY property. Doesn't seem like it would take a rocket surgeon to figure that out. In my opinion, it was some lazy fact-finding.

I can't figure out why the CA who sent the letter to my place of employment would ever think I was my "evil twin". And how would they even know there is a person with the same name working where I do? Do they just do a search and harass everyone who happens to have the name of the person they're going after?

Message 3 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

They did a skip trace with your name and area you live in and found you.  They've probably tried to find the other person without success.  Yes it happens.  My father went through this with a paternity suit years ago.  They had the same name, but were even of different race.  It got ugly, they finally went to a mediation and dad walked in, the woman looked and him and said.. "Who's that".   End of case.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 7
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

They did a skip trace with your name and area you live in and found you.  They've probably tried to find the other person without success.  Yes it happens.  My father went through this with a paternity suit years ago.  They had the same name, but were even of different race.  It got ugly, they finally went to a mediation and dad walked in, the woman looked and him and said.. "Who's that".   End of case.

LMAO! Are you serious!?

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 5 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Whitneyy wrote:

@Shogun wrote:

LMAO! Are you serious!?

Absolutley!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 7
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

Holy cow! LOL!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.