Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Collector Calling for Old Debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt Collector Calling for Old Debt

I have a debt collector calling me saying they are a law firm that's consulting a client whether to move forward with legal action on a debt from 2011. According to them I owe around 600 bucks. I did some research on them and the law firm sort of sounds legit even though I dont remember the actual debt from 2011 or anything. I asked them if they could send me anything to verify the debt since I don't recall anything from that time and they said they would request that information from the creditor and send it. I also checked my credit report and there isn't any collection accounts or negative marks. Is there anything else I should do? Is there anything I need to worry about with this being from 2011? Any advice is appreciated. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Debt Collector Calling for Old Debt

Google their phone number. 

It could be one of these payday debt collector scams.

Very scary message we are going to show up at your place of business or residence and serve you (violation of FDCPA can't threaten to file suit if you have no intention).  They call me constantly I just block them because 1) PDL illegal in NJ and those were not enforcable 2) past statute of limitations for collecting a debt in NJ so they cannot take me to court 3) if there was anything it was discharged.

Could be real could be a scam or semi-scam from junk debt collectors but this whole idea of threatening to serve you at work or home when they have no intention to has gotta stop.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also check the statute of limitations in your state as it could be past that and then they could not file suit.

Message 3 of 11
trusty
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Also check the statute of limitations in your state as it could be past that and then they could not file suit.

^ This.

It's almost surely beyond the SOL. There are a lot of junk debt buyers that prey on the meager emotional state of the financially distressed, that can be coaxed into agreeing to make payment arrangements, well outside of the Statute of Limitations.

If it's not on your credit reports, don't even give it the time of day. Instead, invest in a better smartphone... and then figure out how to block spam callers.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats what I was thinking. The SOL is 6 years in my state. Worst case scenario thats exactly 6 years. Does that mean legally they wouldn't be able to pursue anything or if they did it could be thrown out?

Message 5 of 11
gdtobefree
Established Contributor

Answer the phone one more time and say "send it to me in writing"

Don't tell them to stop calling you just tell them to put their money where their mouth is and send it in writing.

Paper trail paper trail paper trail!
Message 6 of 11
trusty
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thats what I was thinking. The SOL is 6 years in my state. Worst case scenario thats exactly 6 years. Does that mean legally they wouldn't be able to pursue anything or if they did it could be thrown out?

No one with any overhead would ever sue over a few hundred bucks. The idea that they would even feign such a frivolous suit, is indicative of just a harassing junk debt collector who only aims to harass people until they relent.

Also, talking on the phone only emboldens them. Just treat them like they treat you... hold them in utter contempt.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

IGNORE THEM. LOTS OF SCAMMERS AROUND.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I disagree on 1 point.  I absolutely think any credit card company would send it to collections and the debt collector would sue over $600.

But I still think it's fishy maybe not illegal but likely uncollectable.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@trusty wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No one with any overhead would ever sue over a few hundred bucks. The idea that they would even feign such a frivolous suit, is indicative of just a harassing junk debt collector who only aims to harass people until they relent.

Also, talking on the phone only emboldens them. Just treat them like they treat you... hold them in utter contempt.

Not true. I've been sued by creditors for as little as $500.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.