Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Collector Mistake??!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt Collector Mistake??!

Soooo I have a collection account with Convergent Outsourcing for a Cox bill for $721...i called and asked for a PFD and they told me no (for the 5th time 🙄) but said they were willing to make me a settlement offer for 25% off and they will consider it settled in full...I told them I wanted it in writing so they sent me an email, but in the email it says they will consider the debt settled for $180!! Instead of taking 25% of it says they'll settle for 25% of the balance! When I called, the csr said that it was mistaken, the settlement amount is supposed to be $548...my question is, if I have in writing that they will settle for the $180, are they obligated to honor that? She said she has to discuss it with the manager on Monday to see what they are going to do...
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
tricie17
Frequent Contributor

Re: Debt Collector Mistake??!

The letter is legit.  Hold on to it, pay the 180 and watch your credit.  Or pay 180 through your bank account, once payment is accepted by Cox, download payment along with letter after copying and then send to credit bureaus.  Do not call them.  They may or may not call you back.  

Starting Score: 544
Current Score: 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just note that a collection account marked as "settled in full" will have no effect on your crefit score -- a settled collection (or a paid in full collection) hurts as much as the unpaid collection.

If it's outside the SOL, I would keep trying for PFD.  

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

To err is human.

By calling and getting their review, they corrected an error.

A binding contract requires a clear meeting of the minds.  They have corrected and provided a revised offer.

In my opinion, you cannot establish a binding contract when now aware of their error and revised offer.

You are on tenuous legal ground asserting a contractual agreement when advised that a prior offer was erroneous, and they have corrected.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.