Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Collector - Portfolio Recovery - IGNORING ME

tag
Cleaningitup2016
Frequent Contributor

Debt Collector - Portfolio Recovery - IGNORING ME

I have two debts with them, would like to pay both off.

I sent them a settlement letter overnight. It was signed for. All I got was an account balance in return. Literally a letter from them stating what I owed on both accounts.

I called them and they said they were unable to talk to me due to a cease and desist order I supposedly put on my accounts ( I DID NOT).

They gave me an email address of the account operations manager. I emailed him with an order to lift the C&D, one week letter....no reply.

So I called again...C&D order still active, they can't take a payment until it's lifted. They gave me a different email "to try".

No reply after a week.

I really feel like they are ignoring me, especially after not even following up to a overnight letter. I have no clue what to do next?

Credit Card companies have a name for those who pay their bill in full each month: Deadbeats
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Debt Collector - Portfolio Recovery - IGNORING ME

@Cleaningitup2016 wrote:

I have two debts with them, would like to pay both off.

I sent them a settlement letter overnight. It was signed for. All I got was an account balance in return. Literally a letter from them stating what I owed on both accounts.

I called them and they said they were unable to talk to me due to a cease and desist order I supposedly put on my accounts ( I DID NOT).

They gave me an email address of the account operations manager. I emailed him with an order to lift the C&D, one week letter....no reply.

So I called again...C&D order still active, they can't take a payment until it's lifted. They gave me a different email "to try".

No reply after a week.

I really feel like they are ignoring me, especially after not even following up to a overnight letter. I have no clue what to do next?

Their not ignoring you, trust me. They want their money. Call the EO or email Laura White who is the compliance officer. Go on PRA's Web site and find her email address.

You could also email the Ombudsman and explain your situation. That is also located on their website site.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Debt Collector - Portfolio Recovery - IGNORING ME

Did you ever send a request for debt validation?

If so, a timely DV imposes an automatic cease collection bar, which would prevent any negotiations regarding payment of the debt.

Even if not under a cease collection bar, they have no obligation to respond to an offer that has contingencies, such as a settlement for less.

You can simply send the entire amount of the asserted debt, which requires no contract negotiations, and immediately discharge the debt.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.