Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Collector sent letter to start sending payments directly to Capital One

tag
jevoyager
Established Member

Debt Collector sent letter to start sending payments directly to Capital One

So I had a judgement a few years ago from an old capital one card, been paying on it since to a debt collector (Hosto and Buchan). The last few months I kept sending a request for a current balance owed on it, but didn't hear from them. Sent a more formal letter the third time with my payment. Well about a week or two ago I got a letter from them stating they were no longer managing my account and to send payments to Capital One (they included a PO box to send it to) and returned my payment I had mailed in for last month.  Seemed kind of odd.

So this month's payment is due this week and I was getting ready to send in payment to C1, but thought I'd post here first to see if this throws any red flags up to anyone, or if there's something I should do before just start sending payments in to C1?

Thanks!

Jen

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Debt Collector sent letter to start sending payments directly to Capital One

@jevoyager wrote:

So I had a judgement a few years ago from an old capital one card, been paying on it since to a debt collector (Hosto and Buchan). The last few months I kept sending a request for a current balance owed on it, but didn't hear from them. Sent a more formal letter the third time with my payment. Well about a week or two ago I got a letter from them stating they were no longer managing my account and to send payments to Capital One (they included a PO box to send it to) and returned my payment I had mailed in for last month.  Seemed kind of odd.

So this month's payment is due this week and I was getting ready to send in payment to C1, but thought I'd post here first to see if this throws any red flags up to anyone, or if there's something I should do before just start sending payments in to C1?

Thanks!

Jen

Give them a call on the phone.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Debt Collector sent letter to start sending payments directly to Capital One

If you had a formal payment agreement with their debt collector and the creditor has now terminated the authority granted to the debt collector, the prior agreement made with their debt collector remains binding on the creditor.  The debt collector was acting as their assigned agent.

Hopefully, the creditor will not now attempt to unilaterally amend that contract by requriing immediate payment of the entire debt balance.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.