Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Consolidation Vs. Bankruptcy

tag
iwantbettercredit
Regular Contributor

Debt Consolidation Vs. Bankruptcy

Hi Guys,

I need some constructive advice. Not sure if i am posting in the correct tread so sorry if I should not be here.

Here's our problem, I went from 80 hours a week to 2 hours a week at work over the course of a year in a half, so my pay was severely impacted. My office closed 2 months ago and now I am picking up freelance work from home but not enough to even put food on our table weekly and my husband is losing his job in 2 weeks. Were so screwed. We will be losing over $5000 a month in income between the two of us and there is no way we can continue to pay our debt. I have a $1460 mortgage payment and over 1500 a month in credit bills, in addition to necessities, car pmt, gas, water, elect, ins, phone, food, etc.. We owe $17000 on a car, and $34,000 in credit card debt, plus our mortgage

We are not behind at the moment on any bills but will be next month as we await for unemployment to kick in and we will never have enough to keep up. We did not save, we were foolish and took for granted that something like this would happen to us.  I think i have $600.00 in savings and that is it.  My question: I contacted HUD and informed them I am scared we may not be able to keep up with our house payments, they set me up with money management international for counseling. They recommend a debt consolidation which will cost about $1000 a month, and a possible loan modification with my lender or a special forebearance. but they say i need to be a few months in arrears which i am not, but will be starting next month.. I refuse to lose my home over this so giving up my home is not an option for me.. I am trying to get a job and cant find anything out there, I have the ability to make $500-1000 a month from home, still not enough and I am worried my husband wont be able to find anything, he is union and will get more work we just dont know when, probably sometime after the new year, so what he will get on unemployment will not be enough to cover the house payment, necessities, and the debt consolidation payment., the thought of filing for BK freaks me out and I am worried I would lose my home, etc.

We just dont know what to do, any advice/recommendations?

And, does anyone know anything about Money Management International?

Navy Fed Visa $10,000
Navy Fed MasterCard $3,500
Pen Fed Visa $7500
Discover $3,200
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Debt Consolidation Vs. Bankruptcy

I like to post on the viewpoint that if this happened to me, what would I do. If I was in the situation, I would do the following:

1) I'd get on a written budget. I would list every single expense from the mortgage payment, to each bill, to every minimum CC payment. And I'd rank them in order from most important to least. For example, a mortgage is more important for me than a Visa payment.

2) I'd focus on income first, based on the present. I'd figure out to the penny, if possible, how much income would come in next month, and thereafter. I'd go as far as to call the unemployment office to help with calculations. If your DH has severance at his job, I'd calculate that. If you have misc. income coming in, I'd figure that out too. I would then look at November's income and compare it to December's, assuming you didn't get a new job tomorrow. I would use the lower of the two month's income as a basis for budgeting and live off of that alone, saving the rest for later. I suspect you'd get more next month than the month after and that's why I mentioned this.

3) Since your DH has a payroll check or checks coming in, at least one more anyway, I'd have him call his employer and adjust the W-4 certificate to a fixed deduction of $1. This will add more to his paycheck. It would mean you'd get less of a refund or pay a little extra in taxes on April 15, but one or two paychecks won't hurt anything. And if you got a refund this year, you overpaid anyway. Do the same for state, if applicable. You might find you'd have a couple hundred extra to work with. Also, cancel any deductions like savings, 401(k), etc.

4) I'd then focus on expenses. I would go into survival mode and eat PB&Js and rice and beans for every meal, or Ramen noodles at 1000mg of sodium. I'd do anything to cut the food expense, including not eating out or drinking Starbucks. I would also consider canceling landline phone if I have a cell. I'd cancel any dues or subscriptions that I might be paying for. I'd downgrade any insurance like homeowners, car, health, etc. I know that I can always increase it later if I wanted to. I'd cut my cell phone plan. I'd cancel cable. Of course, I'd cancel any travel plans, vacations, weekends out, etc. I know that all of these can be painful, but I'd ask myself: is cable (or insert item here) more important than my home? I would go over my bank and CC statements and go over them line by line and ask my self, :did I really need that?". If the answer is no, then I'd make sure I didn't spend there again. I know that I can always revert to my old ways if I wanted to after I have steady income and savings to boot.

5) After making a list of your income and expenses, I'd take the painful steps of assigning my income to each line item. Food might come first. Mortgage should be second, followed by utilities, car, insurance, etc. Then I'd assign whatever income value I had starting with the most important. Whatever on your list doesn't get paid, won't get paid. But stick to the budget. If little Johnny (assuming you had one) wanted to go to the movies with his friends, then let little Johnny earn his own income to go to the movies via a lemonade stand (assuming the govt' doesn't shut him down), mowing the neighbor's lawn, washing someone's car, etc.

6) Start selling your assets. Be prepared to cash in any savings or even 401(k) if necessary. I personally wouldn't mind taking a tax hit if it meant saving my house. If I had an extra car, I'd sell it, especially if one of us hadn't been working anyway. I'd sell any fun items like a motorcycle, RV, etc. (if I had it). I'd sell off anything and everything around the house like books, furniture, videos, TVs, sound systems, jewelry, etc. I'd have one big yard sale and utilize Craigslist or Ebay. You can always buy bigger and better later. My mindset would be that these items are not as important as the home. Worst-case scenario, I know that if I did have to move, then I wouldn't want to pay $$$ for moving and storing these things anyway.

7) I'd start looking for a job...both of you. IMO, in this economy, if I wasn't mailing out 100 resumes and/or job apps per week, then I'm not doing enough. If you have a serious dialog with 100 potential employers, you'll find that 5-10 would want to have an interview with you, or at least that was my experience in the past. If you are doing 3-5 interviews per week, you'll have options with regards to job choices, rate of pay, benefits, etc., and you won't have to settle for the first one you find. Have DH do the same...and it doesn't matter if it is union or not.

8) Find a temporary job. I'd find anything like washing dishes, waiting tables, delivering pizzas, flipping burgers, etc., just to slow down the damage. It might just buy you a month or two or three. I'd take anything, including minimum wage. A minimum wage job at 30 hours per week part-time would gross you over $1200 per month. That almost covers your mortgage. Have DH do the same. When not working, interview. No job would be beneath me.

I bet if you did the above, within a month, you'll be 100% better off than you were last month, monetarily and job-wise.

If it came down to defaulting, I'm partial to letting one CC slip at a time. If in a DMP, there's a high chance you'd be marked late anyway. I'd rather default if I knew that I could repay the debt in 60-90-120 days. But after doing the above, I'd swing the payments to the CCs if at all possible. I'd also consider a short sale, if it came down to not affording the home. But I'd only consider defaulting or short-saling if I exhausted ever option.

DW and I are going through some junk too. I know it can be rough. We did quite a bit of the above and it's amazing how bad we mishandled our finances sometimes.

Be sure to check out Hauling's post:

FTC website: Knee Deep in Debt

Message 2 of 10
IOBA
Senior Contributor

I agree with llecs post.

We have lived that way for a long time.   Now a suggestion with the top ramon seasoning packets - use 1/3 to 1/2 of the packet.   Cuts down on the sodium AND you have some leftover to use as a base for soup, or to make a drinking broth, or to flavor pasta with.

It kinda sucks, but it's not that bad.

We are in the "oh my gosh, are we going to get the house" stage right now.  So we have actually become even MORE frugal in an effort to keep expenses down and save as much as possible.  If you want to know how frugal, PM me.

We make a game of being frugal.   Lol - it's getting to be pretty ridiculous, but it makes us laugh and we even surprise ourselves once in a while with what we come up with and our successes.

These are dramatic numbers, but to give you an idea of our change in income - 178k a year (no idea what the take home was) to roughly $2400 a month.  I can tell you that with the higher income, we didn't have cable or a landline or fancy cars or smart phones or eat out often or live in a huge place.   We did have kids.   Well, we still do have kids.  Our lives are a lot more fun now than they were then!

It's doable.   You can make the changes.   You can survive on less.  And you will still be able to smile and to laugh and to enjoy life.

Message 3 of 10
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

I'm all about being frugal and budgeting, so the above posts speak volumes to that.

The question about consolidation vs. bankruptcy, however, I have developed strong opinions about over the last few months.  We hit a very rough patch in 2007/2008 and ended up away from our home, trapped in the ice storms that paralyzed Oklahoma.  We had no access to our mail, internet, bank, or a paycheck for weeks (we were there for hubby to work on a house, but he couldn't due to the storms).  it was awful and we got very behind (we were 30 days at the start and it only got worse).  We decided NOT to file bankruptcy for several reasons, but the biggest was that we felt we owed the obligations and should pay it.

Nearly 4 years later, my credit report is still crap while, from what I've been reading/learning the last few months, many people who are 2 years out of bankruptcy are qualifying for mortgages and doing just fine.  To date, I've paid about $16K toward the debt and still have 6 more months to go when I could have saved that money (and, yes, it would have been saved, we learned our lessons well during that time).  I'd have had a nice chunk for a down-payment and my credit scores would probably not be in the toilet.  Guess I'm saying that I wouldn't take the "moral" high road if I had to do it again. 

BTW, we were also put into foreclosure, but were able to work out a modification with the lender which saved our home.

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a big fan of Dave Ramsey.  Check out his website and read his Total Money Makeover.  If you buy it off the site you’ll get access to the forums and will get loads of great advice and a ton of support from people who were able to overcome they very same challenges you are facing.  And most importanly it will provide you with some peace of mind.  He offers Financial Peace classes, but you don’t have to take them.  His book and the forums work just fine.

Dave Ramsey and a lot of his fans are religious.  But it’s not shoved down your throat so you can easily over look.  You will be forced to face some hard cold truth about your spending habits so beware!  And Dave also does not bow to the Fico gods; your credit score is the least of his worries because if you successfully follow his steps, your goal will be to live on cash.  So keep this in mind! 

You will learn how to make a budget, and how to make it work for you.  You’ll find cash around your house you never realized you had.  You’ll get out of debt and learn how to stay that way.  This is just few of the benefits of his program!

You need a budget, pronto.  Make sure you pay your four walls first.  Four walls are: 

-Food

-Utilities (not cable or dish, I am talking basics like electric, gas, water, basic phone service not cell, and basic internet).   

-Mortgage/Rent (and insurance)

-Transportation (car payment, gas, and insurance

Next you start cutting down.  Get rid of the toys…luxury cars, bikes, boats, etc.  Become a 1 car family.  Cut down on the food to what Dave calls a “rice and beans” budget.  He suggests $100 per month per person, although I have never been able to get that low!.  Cut the extras on your utilities.  If you have cells and house phones, see which way is cheaper and cut the more expensive. 

Once you have your four walls and you have made some cuts, see what is left to pay the remaining bills.  If you are still short, start selling some of your stuff on E-Bay, Craigs List, garage sales, etc.  Make sure to utilize coupons.  Commit to no eating out, no coffee runs, etc.   Get ANY job, even delivering pizza.  You can usually get one off the books so it does not interfere with unemployment.  You can also take babysit, cut or rake lawns, do errands for people, etc.  With the holidays coming, offer a wrapping service.  There are plenty of ways to make some extra cash.

Contact all of your credit card companies and see if they have a hardship program you can enroll in.  This may help reduce your minimum payments. 

Best of luck to you, you can do this but it will take some work!  Personally, I would make this attempt first before considering bankruptcy.  Getting yourself out of debt the hard way will teach you and your family a lesson that will help you for the rest of your lives.    

Message 5 of 10
iwantbettercredit
Regular Contributor

Thank you so much for time you took to give us your viewpoint. My husband and I were so impressed with your detailed steps and we so appreciated it. It really made us think. After looking in to assets and other things that we could to help ourselves over the next few months, suddenly it doesnt look so grim and hopeless. It may not be easy but we do have a starting point thanks to all the wonderful feedback and positive energy that came from all of you.  Thank you so much again!! 

Navy Fed Visa $10,000
Pen Fed Visa $7500
Discover $3,200
Message 6 of 10
iwantbettercredit
Regular Contributor

hahaha, I love your suggestion about the ramon noodles, that made my day and gave me my first laugh in a while :-), also, thank you for your viewpoint. after reading the suggestions we immediately started working on our budget. I am not as depressed as I was yesterday, and we dont know what tomorrow will bring but you gave me hope. Thank you so much for your input.

Navy Fed Visa $10,000
Pen Fed Visa $7500
Discover $3,200
Message 7 of 10
iwantbettercredit
Regular Contributor

Thank you for your insight, we are going to hold off for now with the DMP and BK and see what we can do to help ourselves first by really analzying what we have and what we need. We need gather all our ducks in a row first then determined what direction we should go, hopefully we can just worked it out without neither the DMP or BK.  Thanks again.

Navy Fed Visa $10,000
Pen Fed Visa $7500
Discover $3,200
Message 8 of 10
iwantbettercredit
Regular Contributor

Thank you for your insight, we are going to hold off for now with the DMP and BK and see what we can do to help ourselves first by really analzying what we have and what we need. We need gather all our ducks in a row first then determined what direction we should go, hopefully we can just worked it out without neither the DMP or BK.  Thanks again.

Navy Fed Visa $10,000
Pen Fed Visa $7500
Discover $3,200
Message 9 of 10
IOBA
Senior Contributor

We did the Craigslist for much of our stuff.   Sold beds, dressers, couches, chairs, computer monitors, old laptops, baking dishes, the dining room table & chairs (had a folding table, so why not use it), hiking backpacks, artwork, silk plants, dishes, etc.   It was incredible what we sold.   What didn't sell, we donated (tax deduction).

We went from being a two car family with teens to a one car family with teens.   That kinda hurt, but we did it.  Sold the van, sold the SUV, bought a hybrid.  (Both vehicles were paid for before and paid cash for the hybrid.)    The teens didn't care for the change, but oh well.   We also told them no drivers license until you are out of high school and can pay for your own insurance.   The permit is good until they are like 21 I think.   They didn't like that either, but it took the pressure off of them to give rides to friends, to hustle from point A to point B.

We pay cash for food and personal/household stuffs   All coins go into a baggie and get put in the bank or on a bill.

Do you have kids?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.