Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Management Program Adverse Action

tag
MMart078
Regular Contributor

Debt Management Program Adverse Action

Does entering a Debt Management Plan on one account cause other creditors to take adverse action?

I am referring to other creditors closing accounts, lowering credit limits etc.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Debt Management Program Adverse Action

OPT OUT

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

YMMV however I found in the past if I worked with one creditor or collection agency, the rest would all seem to bombard me with phone calls.  I always thought this was a conspiracy, and in a way it really is!!  As Booner 72 stated, opting out helps to prevent this. 

Message 3 of 10
MMart078
Regular Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

OPT OUT

When yo usay opt out what do you mean?

Message 4 of 10
Booner72
Senior Contributor

OPT OUT prevents collection agencies from seeing your credit reports.  Go online and google "OPT OUT." You can do this for free and it lasts 5 years - if you want to permanently opt out you have to do that in writing.  You will need to make sure you OPT OUT with all three credit bureaus.

Message 5 of 10
MMart078
Regular Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

OPT OUT prevents collection agencies from seeing your credit reports.  Go online and google "OPT OUT." You can do this for free and it lasts 5 years - if you want to permanently opt out you have to do that in writing.  You will need to make sure you OPT OUT with all three credit bureaus.

But this will not stop adverse action (CLD's, closures etc.) from other creditors though will it?

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, there is a good possibility that all you other accounts will be closed.  I entered a program about five years ago and there was one card I did not agree to place on the program and it was closed. Also be careful with the company you are using, make sure it’s one with a good track record.  The common problem with some of these companies is you pay them but they don’t pay your creditors.

The company I use was a non-profit and all they asked for was a monthly donation, which I did not have to pay if I did not want to. Looking back at that time in my life it was the best decision, now that is behind me and I no longer have any CC debt.

Message 7 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Killed my credit by going into one.  No, it mutilated it.  Once I went on it, everyone closed my accounts, had charge offs, accounts sent to CA's.  It was an absolute nightmare.  But as they say.  YMMV

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 10
MMart078
Regular Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Killed my credit by going into one.  No, it mutilated it.  Once I went on it, everyone closed my accounts, had charge offs, accounts sent to CA's.  It was an absolute nightmare.  But as they say.  YMMV

What agency did you use?

Message 9 of 10
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I used consumer credit counseling when I was about 20.  When i was about 28 I was applying for a mortgage and was told that the lender sees credit counseling "like a bankruptcy."

My advice is, if you have no choice do it, but if you have a choice, don't do it.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.