Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Management

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt Management

I am currently in a debt management program. I am able to now pay it off but my question is do I contact the credit card companies to pay off the balances or debt management company? When I called debt management they told me to contact the credit cards and get the balance with a 14 day payoff amount which would include interest. I called one credit card and they said I could pay off now and not have any additional interest. I am not sure which to do because I don't want the debt managemt company to continue to charge me when I wouldn't have any bill with them anymore. Any advice? Thanks!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Debt Management

Hmmm I have worked with a debt management company in the past but I felt they didn't do anything I couldn't do myself, though I'm sure not all debt management companies are the same. I would start rebuilding my credit on my own, following the advice on these and perhaps other credit boards, and if you get stuck maybe you can reach out to the debt management company at that point?

Message 2 of 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Debt Management

@Anonymous wrote:
I am currently in a debt management program. I am able to now pay it off but my question is do I contact the credit card companies to pay off the balances or debt management company? When I called debt management they told me to contact the credit cards and get the balance with a 14 day payoff amount which would include interest. I called one credit card and they said I could pay off now and not have any additional interest. I am not sure which to do because I don't want the debt managemt company to continue to charge me when I wouldn't have any bill with them anymore. Any advice? Thanks!

I would do what they are telling you to do and at the same time you terminate the contract with the DMP. Good luck and welcome to My Fico  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.