Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Re-aging/SOL Question

tag
thesecondtimearound
Valued Member

Debt Re-aging/SOL Question

Hello,

I'm a bit confused as to the debt re-aging process. From what I understand, the SOL for reporting is the DoFD from the ORIGINAL CREDITOR, right? Not when the collection agency receives it?

I've recently checked my credit report and I have a collection agency reporting a DoFD for last year. However, I know the original creditor for that account and the DoFD for it was in January of 2010. Is it normal for a collection agency to report a much more recent DoFD than the OC? And if so, does it negatively impact the credit report? Thanks for the guidance!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Debt Re-aging/SOL Question

@thesecondtimearound wrote:

Hello,

I'm a bit confused as to the debt re-aging process. From what I understand, the SOL for reporting is the DoFD from the ORIGINAL CREDITOR, right? Yes  Not when the collection agency receives it? Yes

I've recently checked my credit report and I have a collection agency reporting a DoFD for last year. However, I know the original creditor for that account and the DoFD for it was in January of 2010. Is it normal for a collection agency to report a much more recent DoFD than the OC? And if so, does it negatively impact the credit report?  Are you sure its the DOFD or is it the date the CA received and opened their collection account??? They can report their open date but must remove the reporting based on the OCs DOFD (7.5 yrs post). Any CA reporting is going to affect your FICO and if they are updating it every month it will appear new to FICO every month it reports this way, this is a tactic used to keep your score depressed. Thanks for the guidance!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.