Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Settlement Company - Advice needed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt Settlement Company - Advice needed

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone has any experience dealing with Credit Solutions company put of TX. Their web site is www.creditsolutions.com. Not Credit Solutions of America.

I contacted them and their service it to settle all my credit card debt by reducing it in half. This service comes with a fee. My concern is the fact that during the first 3 months most of the money that I has to set aside for this settlement will go towards their service fee. Which means very little is going towards paying off the creditors. Then they pay off each creditor one at a time, which means some will be waiting for months before they see any money, and I'm concerned about the impact his will have on my credit report.

I really need to use a company that can help me settle my credit, but want to be sure I do not fall victim to a scam and make my situation worse.

Thanks
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
iamrayl
Regular Contributor

Re: Debt Settlement Company - Advice needed

Palges40, To sum up, they false advertise. I had enrolled two accounts in their program last year and I pulled both of them out (one after three months, and the other back in Feb). They tell you that they have good relationships with your creditors but many creditors do not even work with them. BOA for example. They also advise you to let the accounts age (get charged off and go to collections) as that will give them more leverage to negotiate better settlements on your behalf and that your scores will drop but they will increase because after you've settled those accounts your debt ratio will improve. What they don't tell you is that settling an account for less than what is owed has little to no impact on your score when these accounts have been settled and reported as settled for less on your CRs. I became so frustrated with them, they told me to set aside 1200 for the creditor but each time they contacted the creditor, the creditor would ask for no less than 2600 which was even more than I had owed originally (interest and late fees were added). I sent them an email accusing them of false advertising, requested to close the account and also a full or partial refund as they had not delivered on their promise, and they wrote me back asking me to call them so they could speak to me, I ended up getting 1/3 of the money i paid to them in service fees back. I went ahead and paid off the second creditor and I'm paying off the other one monthly. It was a CC with a high APR that got out of control, I contacted the OC and they decided to lower my APR to 5% fixed for 60 months to allow me to pay off the balance on the card. You can google consumer credit counselling services, they are a non-profit and I heard they have a good reputation and success rate (wish I had known about them last year before i dealt with Credit Solutions). You can try them if you are in a very bad situation debtwise, if not I would just recommend that you contact the creditors you owe and see if you can work out a payment plan for something that fits your budget. Some of them are willing to do that. BOA for example and I've read that some aren't, they'd rather sell your debt to a CA or come after you in court.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Debt Settlement Company - Advice needed

Debt settlement is usually a scam.  You pay for several months, they hold your money and earn interest on it, and meanwhile you are earning more defaults on your CR.  Why not do it yourself for free?
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.