Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Validation/Dispute

tag
spike69
Frequent Contributor

Debt Validation/Dispute

I see DVs discussed often as something you do with a CA. I know direct dispute is different. The way a OC reposnds is what I am asking about. If you directly dispute a debt, complete any requested info from the OC, can they still come back and say "you owe the $$ b/c we have your name. address and SSN?"  ZERO documented proof has been given. None. I have filed BBB and FRC complaints. Nothing so far- its been two weeks. This is my last issue. Clean report. I am venting but also looking for the knowledge of others here.

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
spike69
Frequent Contributor

Re: Debt Validation/Dispute

Bumping in the hopes someone might have some information

Message 2 of 8
spike69
Frequent Contributor

Last bump and then i'll give up on this post

Message 3 of 8
abundancejones
Regular Contributor

This is what I found about that dispute method. You should also look into filing with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau; the FTC does not handle individual situations. 

623 Dispute Method

When the conventional method of disputing an inaccuracy on your credit report fails to yield results, the 623 dispute method may be a viable alternative to getting erroneous or unconfirmed information removed from your report. The 623 dispute method allows you to dispute any inaccurate information on your credit report directly with the original creditor. A 623 dispute does not work in the same way as a traditional dispute through the credit bureaus because you are not asking for verification of the debt, but for an investigation as to the accuracy of the records on that debt. If you creditor does not have accurate records pertaining to that debt, then they must remove the negative information on your credit report. The process usually follows these steps:

1. File a dispute with the credit bureau.

2. Await the results of the investigation. If the negative information is not removed, then proceed.

3. File a 623 Dispute notice with the original creditor, asking for an investigation into the debt or delinquency.

4. If the original creditor does not have proof of the debt or delinquency, the negative information must be removed from your credit report.

5. If the original creditor does not comply, you will have to file suit in order to have it removed.

How It Works

In order to successfully challenge negative listings on your credit report through the 623 dispute method, you must first dispute the information through the credit bureau. When you dispute the information to the credit bureau, you must wait for the 30 days for the investigation to be complete. If the original creditor verifies that the negative listing is accurate, then you move forward with the next step which is to dispute directly with the original creditor itself.

Under the laws governing the 623 dispute method, creditors must conduct an investigation when requested. In addition, when investigating, they must review the information that you provide relating to that dispute, and they must respond within 30 days to your original investigation request. The new laws governing fair credit reporting explicitly require the original creditors to investigate when requested, and will take effect on July 1, 2010.

This method will only work to remove entries on your credit report that are inaccurate, or entries in which the creditor no longer has to verifiable information. While you might think that the credit card agencies will have up-to-the-minute information about your past debts, this is often not the case. In fact most credit card companies will only keep your records for 13 to 18 months. Any late fees, charge-offs, or other information prior to this time they will not be able to verify through their records. The 623 dispute method works because anything that is inaccurate, or not in the records will have to be corrected on your credit report. What this means is, if the credit card company does not have any records on your account at all they must contact the credit bureaus to have the negative information removed.

If you have disputed the information through the credit bureau before initiating the 623 dispute process, and the creditor refuses to remove erroneous information, you will have grounds to sue. Otherwise, your only legal recourse will be to have the state or federal authorities pursue the case, and it is solely at their discretion to do so.

Warning: This dispute method probably will not work for a debt that is fairly recent. It is also unlikely to work for those companies who do keep detailed records spanning several years. In addition, you will need to be somewhat specific about the information you wish to be investigated and any records that you have that can prove that there is an error will be helpful. At the very minimum, you must identify the account by the actual account number and provide a reason to the original creditor explaining why you are disputing the accuracy of their records. If you do not provide this information as a part of your investigation request, the original creditor may determine that your request is frivolous and deny the investigation. Overall, the 623 dispute method works best for past delinquencies and charge-offs that may no longer be listed appropriately in the records.

Message 4 of 8
spike69
Frequent Contributor

Thank you. CFPB is the one who sent it to the FTC. The BBB also has an open complaint. I DID NOT dispute with CRA.  I have provided all documentation I have but that's limited since the account isn't mine. How too you provide documented proof that you didn't do something. A fraud affidavit has already been filed.

Message 5 of 8
spike69
Frequent Contributor

Still waiting for anything with BBB and FTC. Back to the original question- is "becasue we say so and we have your SSN, Name and Addresss" enough to validate a debt??

Message 6 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

It is because they are responding and saying there is a valid debt, and this debt is yours.

You have a couple of options here, and it depends on what is going on.

Is it your debt?  If so, then they are doing things properly.  They say it's yours, it is yours.

Is it not your debt?  Is it fraud?  Identity theft?  If so, then there are different steps to remove and clear this up.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 8
spike69
Frequent Contributor

It is NOT my debt. I have done the following:

Contacted the creditor to state that it is not mine in writting.

Responded to all communication including a Fraud Addidavit

Followed up when then stated- well thanks for the paperwork but we still say it's yours because we have your SSN, address and name

They have NOT responded to any of my requestes for documented proof that the accounts are mine- i.e. a charge slip with my signature, an application with my signature. Nothing.

I filed with BBB and CFPB. BBB has claim open and no response from credior since 6.3.14. CFPB punted to FTC who punted to the state trade comission where the credior home office is. No response there either.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.