Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Validation Question.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt Validation Question.

I have a few collection agency reports on my credit report, all of which I have paid off a couple years ago.

I see the first thing people do when they dispute them is do a debt validation with the credit agency.  How do I do this?  Right now I am viewing my report on experian, there is the option to dispute each thing on my report, but non of the options are debt validation.  Which option do you select?

thanks all

Message Edited by doox00 on 01-23-2010 09:49 PM
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Debt Validation Question.

Once you pay off a debt, then it is no longer unpaid debt, so there is nothing to validate.  The DV process under FDCPA 809(b) requires that you dispute owing the debt.  Kinda hard to do when you have already paid it.

Additionally, DV letters have nothing to do with removal from a credit report.  They are simply between you and the CA, with no CRA involvement.

Your path now is to ask for good-will (GW) deletion by the CA.  That is totally discrectionary on their part.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 01-23-2010 10:13 PM
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Debt Validation Question.

I see, so I am at the mercy of the ca.. okay... well I will be writing at least once a week begging for a removal Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.