Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Validation backfired

tag
cjane1
Frequent Contributor

Debt Validation backfired

Hi all,

Well I did a debt validation with AFNI and within 4 days of them receiving my letter they updated my collection. I live in Texas, thought this was illegal while request of validation. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Debt Validation backfired

@cjane1 wrote:

Hi all,

Well I did a debt validation with AFNI and within 4 days of them receiving my letter they updated my collection. I live in Texas, thought this was illegal while request of validation. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Depends on  whether you specifically cited the Texas Financial code or not. If you just sent a standard DV, they would have assumed its under FDCPA, and if not timely could be ignored.

Message 2 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Was your DV request cited as being under the federal FDCPA or the YX Financial Code?

If under the FDCPA, was it sent within 30 days of their dunning notice?

Message 3 of 8
cjane1
Frequent Contributor

Yes, I used the debt validation example on myfico for state of Texas.

Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Section 392.202 of the TX Financial Code states, in pertinent part, that

"the third-party debt collector shall cease collection efforts until an investigation of the dispute described by Subsections (b)-(e) determines the accurate amount of the debt, if any"

Reporting to a CRA is a collection effort that is barred under the TX code.

You can file a compliant with the TX AG.

Message 5 of 8
cjane1
Frequent Contributor

When a collection agency violates a code is that a reason enough to request the CRA's to the delete the collection ? Seems as th CA's really don't care because the punishment isn't harsh enough as it continues to be  problem with numerous people

Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The accuracy of theri reporting is not the issue, it is the issue of whether they violated their debt collection practices obligations.

The CRAs are not a part of debt validation under either the FDCPA or TX Financial Code.

Determination of a violaltion of a cease collection bar is not basis for investigation by a CRA or deletion of credit reporting.

The proper remedy is to pursue any violation of debt collection practices statutes with the regulating agency, which is the case of the FDCPA would be the CFPB, or in the case of the TX Financial Code would be the TX state AG.

You could additionally bring your own civil action and seek remedy through the courts.

Remedy would then be up to the court.

Message 7 of 8
cjane1
Frequent Contributor

Problem is I can't afford to take them to court. I want it off my credit report so should I just do a PFD?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.