Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Validation...conflict?

tag
sdtrew
Established Member

Re: Debt Validation...conflict?

First let me start off by saying thank you for your help/advice. I really appreciate it. 

So the OC reporting a $0 balance isn't hurting my report and can stay? Is this a 'what's done is done' type of situation that will follow me until it expire?

This account is 6 years old so I have no idea when the dunning notice was sent to me. I shouldn't have took this long to fix my mess but better late than never. I have 2 more accounts (Portfolio-6 years old) to deal with after I get this squared away.  

I just want clean reports. Should I go ahead and pay this account and see how they update on my credit report before I ask them to delete it all togehter? 

Message 11 of 15
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The OC is required to update their reporting to $0 if they sell the debt.

That does not indicate that the debt was paid, only that there is no longer a debt owed to the OC.

Has the OC account actually been updated to current status of "Paid," or are you just assuming that based on the current balance update to $0?

FICO will still consider and score any derogs that were reported by the OC, and the update to $0 balance does not, in and of itself, effect scoring.

Removal of the collection can be attempted by sending them a pay for deletion offer.

Message 12 of 15
sdtrew
Established Member

Yes the OC is reporting $0 balance and the payment status is PAID.

I will contact the CA via mail to offer a PFD. I know the account is probably only worth about $5 now...if that lol. I can pay the whole thing but should I offer 50% or less since it's so old?

Message 13 of 15
sdtrew
Established Member

What if it's reporting with a $0 balance but status is LATE? Is this incorrect and they need to fix it?

Message 14 of 15
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the OC is reporting a $0 balance AND that the debt is paid, but you have not in fact paid the debt, then the OC reporting is inaccurate.

If the debt were paid, there would be no delinquent debt, and thus no collection upon any debt.

I would thus assume the OC reporting is inaccurate.  Whether you choose to dispute that inconsistency is up to you.

However, if you did not pay, then the inaccurate reporting by the OC would not establish basis for showing payment of the debt, and thus no proper collection.

If the debt is unpaid, then the OC reporting would conclude with update of the debt balance owed to them to show $0. 

Prior delinquecies reported by the OC would remain until they reach their credit report exclusion dates.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.