Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Validation in Reverse???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt Validation in Reverse???

Hello,

I searched the boards and found a few threads that were helpful, but wanted some clarification on what I should do.

I have excellent credit.  I just received a notice from NCO Portfolio Mgmt, Inc regarding an account of mine.  This account was paid in FULL nearly 10 years ago (Spring of 2001).  It is listed on my CR as an account in good standing, paid and closed, never late.  It's due to fall off my CR in November of this year.

So...since my CR shows it in good standing, what do I do with this notice?  I know it's not a valid collection.  But I'm not disputing something on my CR, since it's correct on my CR.  Do I send the stanard DV letter?

Thanks~!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
newstart2010
Blogger

Re: Debt Validation in Reverse???

send your proof to the collection agency, and dispute it with them.  Make sure they see that the account is paid and closed in good standing.  Also, contact the original creditor if you can to let them know whats happening, and see if you can get the info from the original creditor too.

You are disputing the debt with the collection agency, not with the credit report.  Leave the credit report alone unless you see them add the account to the credit report.

I live my life like I type, fast and with a lot of mistakes.
Spacebar broken. Watch for finger.

02/04/2015 || TU 08: 728 EX 08: 709 EQ 08: 748

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, is disputing it with NCO different from doing a DV letter to them?

Should I do the DV letter, but include a copy of the page in my CR that shows the account in good standing?

Message 3 of 6
newstart2010
Blogger

Well, you want to see their validation.  Your DV letter is going to be a bit more forceful I think because you have proof that the account was paid in full and fine.  I would include a copy of the credit report, any proof you can get from the original creditor (you need to call them and get proof from them) and tell them that if they have a debt to collect they need to provide you with proof that you did not pay the debt, and that you have proof you did pay. 

See what they have to say after that.  Do it all in writing.  Send it CMRRR, and make sure that you contact the OC.  They could possibly pull the collector back from the attack if you let them know what is going on.  Its their fault for sticking the collector on you when the account is clean.  Or is it not clean and its just reporting clean.  That then is a whole other situation that needs to be handled differently.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The account is definitely clean.  I had to pay it off as a condition of my mortgage when I bought my first house 10 years ago.  I was really young, and my credit wasn't as good as it is now...they made me pay it off.  I think I still have all that paperwork from that home purchase, with the cancelled checks and documents showing it was paid.  I'll have to dig it out...
Message 5 of 6
newstart2010
Blogger

pray you kept it all, cause that should wipe all of that away fast.  seems you have everything you need.  jsut send them a dispute letter that you do not owe the debt, contact the original creditor, and send copies of everything to the collection agency and to the CRAs if it shows up on your credit.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.