Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Validation of Medical Bill

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt Validation of Medical Bill

Received a call from a CA claiming I owe $45 from a Sept 2010 medical bill.  The CA claims they have not reported it to any CRA.  A few days later, I received a letter stating $45 due to the CA.  I sent the CA a simple DV letter CMRRR.  They followed up with only a copy of an invoice from the medical company showing the $45 balance.  The medical services listed on the invoice appear accurate to me.  However, they had the wrong address, which is why I never received the bill.  So, what are my next steps?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Debt Validation of Medical Bill

It appears that the debt collector obtained verification, and provided a statement of the amount of the debt.

With no statutory requirement to provide documentary evidence, it is, in my opinion, adequate verification.

I would send the debt collector an offer for full payment in exchange for agreement not to report their collection.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just pulled my credit report and scores thru myFICO and no negatives are currently reporting.  The CA could simply refuse agreeing to not report.  Am I better off just paying them the $45?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, I have the ability to pay this online to either the CA or OC.  Does it matter?

Message 4 of 7
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I would call the OC and explain to them about the address. Offer to pay in full if thye will pull the acount back form the collection agency. If thye say yes get it in writing and pay the bill.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I personally would not, in negotiating with the OC, add a condition that they "pull back" the collection.  In my opinion, it justs raises an unnecessary side show.

If you pay the OC, they must notify the debt collector that the debt is now paid, which effectively terminates their collection authority.  No more debt to collect.

Terminating the collection does not preclude the debt collector from still reporting the fact that they did have legitimate collection authority, so they could still report.

The OC is not a party to that reporting, and their termination of the collection would not prohibit such reporting.

However, after payment of the debt, it is probably unlikely that the debt collector would report, as it would serve no useful collection purpose.

In order to report accurately, they would simultaneously be required to report their collection, report it closed, and with a $0 collection balance.

Kinda unnecessary activity on their part.

That is not an OC issue, and I would not include it in my OC negotiations.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

As an update:  Since the collection is not currently reported and based on your comments it seems unlikely they will report if I pay in full, I went ahead and paid in full to the medical company.  Hopefully that is the end of it.  Thanks for the help!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.