Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Validation?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt Validation?

What info do i need to include in a debt validation letter/email?  I am weary that I will leave something important out.

thank you!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Debt Validation?

Keep it simple.

You claim I owe this debt, account number__________.  Please validate per FDCPA 809.

Type your name only.  Do not sign.

Message 2 of 5
gardoave
Valued Member

Why not sign?

Starting score: (11/24/13) TU: 517 Eq: 533 Exp: 520
(12/25/13) TU: 595 Eq: 592, Exp: 595
(02/20/14) TU: 637 Eq: 623 Exp:610
(04/09/14) Eq: 639
Message 3 of 5
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@gardoave wrote:

Why not sign?

Your signature could be forged onto fake docs...crazy I know but JDB have no ethics. 

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There are three primary items which the statute and case law support in a DV request.

The first, obviously, is verification of the debt.

The second is a request for the name of the original creditor.  In both a dunning notice and response to a DV, they need only identity the current owner of the debt.

If you have any questions as to where the debt originated, the statute specifically permits you to include a request for the name of the OC.

Third, case law supports the additional request for an itemization of the debt.  Since the FDCPA limits what amounts a debt collector may attempt to collect, the courts have held that the consumer cannot evaluate the debt without an itemization of the amounts asserted as due.

Thus, a mandatory first paragraph that simply states "This is a request for debt validation under FDCPA 809(b)"

An optional second paragraph requesting the name of the original creditor.

An option third paragraph requesting an itemization of the debt.

Short and concise.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.