Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Validation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt Validation

@Anonymous wrote:
The notice you sent 5 days from receiving the original notice in December 2005 constitutes your timely DV. Language of the letter isn't important.... If you sent it CMRRR, and saved the paper trail, you DVed and you can prove it in court. If the very next thing mailed to you wasn't proof that the debt is yours, then they are in violation of FCDPA. Every call, letter, lawsuit, and CRA reporting to all 3 CRAs is a violation.
.... "I sent a letter requesting validation of this debt on December XX, 2005. See enclosed copy. This debt is not mine, you have not validated, and you are now in violation of FCDPA."
Every time they switch it to another CA, send them a DV letter. That's a game played when they know the debt isn't your. Switch to another CA and make you think it's a different debt. If that CA has previously contacted you and you DVed them, advise them they are now in violation.

Before I found this forum I disputed a Capitol One cc account via the CRA online.  This was around 2/08, maybe 03/08. The CRA "investigated" it and sent me an email stating the account was validated and now it says validated such and such date on my credit report.  I didn't get any sort of "validation" of the dept. 

Soon after this the account was sold to another CA.  They sent me a collection letter and I have not replied.  I read that the 30 days to respond is not strict.  So do I DV the new CA? 

Another question I have regarding another account, this cc account was closed in 12/03.  In one credit report I have from 03/04 it states the most owed is $120, balance and past due $959.  Now it is up to about $2000.  Is there a limit as to the fees?  Seems like they just kept on charging interest or something...if it's not criminal it should be.

~Liz

Message Edited by sidewinder on 10-16-2008 07:44 AM
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Debt Validation

Hello tfsbecause,

I moved your message into a new thread so that it could get more exposure. I edited the message to change the subject line only, I didn't edit any of your original text.

You say that you disputed a Cap 1 account with the CRA online but didn't get any validation. The CRA, unfortunately, doesn't have to provide you with validation. Was the account being reported by Cap 1 or a CA and on what basis did you dispute it? Is there something inaccurate, is it not yours?

As for the fees, interest, etc being added, the legality of that would depend upon your original terms and agreement and your state laws.

When did you receive the collection notice. Is this CA reporting on your report?

What is the DOFD, DOLA, and SOL?

The links in my signature will likely be helpful to you.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.