Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Verification, Debt Validation, Letter of Deletion

tag
randaljon
Regular Contributor

Debt Verification, Debt Validation, Letter of Deletion

Are these 2 letters one in the same? Or do you send a Verification letter to a CA first, if they respond, then send a Validation letter?

Do you send a request for a letter of deletion before these letters or after, or both?

Thanks

Starting Scores(Jan/2011): EQ 564 TU 538 EXP 576
Current Score: EQ 692 TU 728 EXP 710 (Quizzle FAKO)Goal Score: 720

Wallet: Grow Visa 500, Capital One MC 2000, Capital One MC 1250, Paypal MC 3000, Jared 10500, Kay 2000, Walmart 2050, TJX Rewards 1200
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Debt Verification, Debt Validation, Letter of Deletion

@randallcred wrote:

Are these 2 letters one in the same? Or do you send a Verification letter to a CA first, if they respond, then send a Validation letter?

Do you send a request for a letter of deletion before these letters or after, or both?

Thanks

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Here is an excellent thread discussing some of that: What Steps Do I Take?

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 8
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

No they are not the same. Do you have a collection on your CR that you what deleted?

If so, give us some info about it, minus your personal info of course.Smiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 8
randaljon
Regular Contributor

My main question is, should I send an offer to pay off the CA debt in exchange for a "letter of deletion". Or should I go through the Validation process first?

Here is a process I was going to use.

1. Dispute the collection, and ask for verification or offer to pay half the debt in exchange for Letter of Deletion.

2. If they reject the offer and verify, then ask for Validation.

3. Offer to pay full debt for letter of deletion.

These are CA, original creditors were credit card companies.

Wallet: Grow Visa 500, Capital One MC 2000, Capital One MC 1250, Paypal MC 3000, Jared 10500, Kay 2000, Walmart 2050, TJX Rewards 1200
Message 4 of 8
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

You send a DV debt validation letter first,then if they verify you send a PFD letter.

Go to the link below that says  What Steps Do I take?  There you will find detail steps to take     

If you have any questions,come back here and post.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 5 of 8
randaljon
Regular Contributor

Ok thanks. I have 3 collections on my account. I sent 3 DV Letters out today. Certified mail with return receipt requested.

When you send mail to the Credit Bureaus do you have to send it certified or can you just send regular first class?

Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you dispute the debt or anything in your CR, there is NO need to first do a DV.  Unless you live in Texas, there is no period for them to repond to a DV letter.

Meanwhile, the disputed information remains in your CR.  YOu can do either one before the other, or both at the same time.  If you wait first for DV response, it may never come, and the dispute of inaccurte credit repoting would meanwhile remain unadressed.

DVs and disputes are separate matters, under entirely different statutes.  DVs deal with debt collection practices, and disputes deal with information in your CR.

Debt validation and verification both deal with DV letters, and not disputes.

The broad title of FDCPA 809 is "Validation of debts."  Under that broad umbrella are both requests to verify the debt (the amount of the debt) and to provide the full name and address of the original creditor.  Verification is one element that you can request under validation.

Message 7 of 8
randaljon
Regular Contributor

Oh they were for seperate issues. I sent the DV letters to collectors and I was sending seperate dispute to the Cred Bureaus for inquiries.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.