Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt fall off date

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt fall off date

I have a debt that on my Transunion report is scheduled to fall off September 09 but on my equifax it says December 09. I would like to know what report to go by so I don't miss out on buying a house.  How should I go about verify the date?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Debt fall off date

It depends on whether it was a late or charge off.  If late, then it should be 7 years from the late.  If charged off, then the DOFD applies, which may have been reported differently to the two CRA's.  Check your records to determne which is correct.

DOFD is 180 days after you first went seriously/permanent delinquent.  Fall off is 7 years from DOFD

If the item is a late, not charged off, then it will be 7 years from late.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did a search on the forum but I wasn't able to find the definition of a late vs a charge off.  I'm thankful for any help in this matter..
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Late:  you paid after the date due (30/60/90 late, etc.)

Charge off:  You never paid the debt and the creditor wrote it off as bad debt

Message 4 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

For clarification.  If it is only a late payment, the entire debt will not fall off the CR, only the late will come off.

The entire account will only come off after the DOFD has been reached.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

broman78 wrote:

I have a debt that on my Transunion report is scheduled to fall off September 09 but on my equifax it says December 09. I would like to know what report to go by so I don't miss out on buying a house.  How should I go about verify the date?

It could be right for both reports.

It can remain up to 7 1/2 years from DOFD. Sometimes a CRA removes at 7 years, sometimes before 7 years, sometimes at 7 1/2 years, sometimes in between 7 and 7 1/2.

If you have a report directly from EQ and it is reported, look for DOFD.

DOFD would be the date you went delinquent and never caught up prior to charge off/collection/other similar action.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.