cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt no longer with CA listed on my credit report....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt no longer with CA listed on my credit report....

I had a $407 medical bill that was supposed to be handled via workmans comp. I dont recall receiving a notice about owing this money. Finding it on my credit report was the way I learned of it. 

I called the listed CA and the woman advised that the debt was no longer with them, and gave me two numbers to call. One is another debt collector and the other is a law firm. 

I havent yet called either of the two numbers. My question is this: Before the new owner of the debt can report it as a collection to the credit beareaus will they not first have to send me an invoice or a bill stating that I owe them the money? Or does the fact it was in collections with another company mean that it can go straight in as a collection. 

I managed to get it removed from one of the reports, but I have read here that a collection can return with another debt collector. 

Just needed a small bit of guidance here. Should I contact the numbers that the original CA gave me, or just wait until I receive a letter from the the entities that now own the debt? Would there be any adverse effects that would come with calling them to inquire., or would that be a wiser course of action to keep it off my report. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Debt no longer with CA listed on my credit report....

@Anonymous wrote:

I had a $407 medical bill that was supposed to be handled via workmans comp. I dont recall receiving a notice about owing this money. Finding it on my credit report was the way I learned of it. 

I called the listed CA and the woman advised that the debt was no longer with them, and gave me two numbers to call. One is another debt collector and the other is a law firm. 

I havent yet called either of the two numbers. My question is this: Before the new owner of the debt can report it as a collection to the credit beareaus will they not first have to send me an invoice or a bill stating that I owe them the money? Or does the fact it was in collections with another company mean that it can go straight in as a collection. 

I managed to get it removed from one of the reports, but I have read here that a collection can return with another debt collector. 

Just needed a small bit of guidance here. Should I contact the numbers that the original CA gave me, or just wait until I receive a letter from the the entities that now own the debt? Would there be any adverse effects that would come with calling them to inquire., or would that be a wiser course of action to keep it off my report. 

They can report at any time, the law says if they report the have to send dunning within 5 days. They dont always send to current address if you have been moving around. Since this CA no longer has any authority to collect, the CRA manual states they have to remove their TL you might dispute it as "no current authority to collect". I would be calling the new collector to make arrangements to pay in exchange for it not being reported.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.