Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt paid to OC can CA still report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt paid to OC can CA still report?

Uggggghhhh in  a haste I paid a $193 medical bill. I keep beating myself up over it because medical bills are last on my list and I did nothing in writing. I called the CA to ask for a PFD they said no they only would report it as paid in full. The OC never reported to to CRA. I received an alert from Experian that 2 negative items had just reported. Two off and two on. This really has me thinking if this can really be done. (Credit repair). I called the OC who took a payment over the phone and said that they would recall the debt from the CA(30-45days) however its up to the CA to remove from my reports...Anyhow my question is...Is there anyway to get the CA(Americollect) to remove this from my report? Do they still have the legal right to report now that it has been paid to the OC? Do I have a fight or am I going to be seing this on my report for the next seven years?

Any advice would be helpful.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

Re: Debt paid to OC can CA still report?

Unfortunately, since you did not do a PFD, you have lost leverage on getting this removed. At this point, the only thing you can do is a GW to the CA. No sense in even dealing with the OC because they have since sold off the account to the CA.

The concerning part is that the OC took payment because if they sold off the account, they no longer own or have the ability to service it (aka, take payment). Maybe others can chime in on this one.

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 2 of 9
montana586
Regular Contributor

If the hospital assigned the debt and did not sell it they can still take payment legally all the CA is required to do is now update your reports to a $0 balance. I would give it 30 days and call the hospital or doctor's office and ask them to contact CA and ask them to remove since the CA works for them its their clients so in my opinion they are more apt to oblige

Starting Score: 675EQ 698 TU
Current Score: 698TU 675EQ
Goal Score: 720+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

EQ fico 675
Trans Fico 698
EX662
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I will wait out the 30days and then make a move form there. It is still showing a balance ,but it has been less than the 30 days so thats expected. I will go in with a GW to the CA and also  try to see if the OC can do anything to recall the debt. Its worth a try even if its unsuccseful and if all fails at least they have been paid.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now I understnd the importance of talking on the phone with CA as less as possible. I will try the GW to the collection agency.

@Ysettle4 wrote:

Unfortunately, since you did not do a PFD, you have lost leverage on getting this removed. At this point, the only thing you can do is a GW to the CA. No sense in even dealing with the OC because they have since sold off the account to the CA.

The concerning part is that the OC took payment because if they sold off the account, they no longer own or have the ability to service it (aka, take payment). Maybe others can chime in on this one.

Message 5 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Actually, NO, they should not still be reporting.  If they did not receive payment and have no collection authority now that it has been paid to the OC, they should remove their posting.   That is according to the guidlines in the collections manual.  But, the key word here is "should".  There's nothing definitive.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 9
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Shogun wrote:

Actually, NO, they should not still be reporting.  If they did not receive payment and have no collection authority now that it has been paid to the OC, they should remove their posting.   That is according to the guidlines in the collections manual.  But, the key word here is "should".  There's nothing definitive.

+1.  OP may consider dispute of the TL.   IMHO, I don't see how they can report a debt that they have no authority to collect.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 7 of 9
dursty87
Established Contributor

Once a debt collector obtains collection authority from the OC, they are able to report to the CRA's.  Even though you paid the OC directly, the CA can still report, it will just have to be closed with a $0 balance.  There is no law that says they have to delete it, but(as others have stated) the credit reporting manual does.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE: I disputed this with Ex to have removed stating that it was paid, the CA updated as paid. Nothing removed. I decided to call the OC and goodwill them by phone. Spoke with the BOM and told her I was trying to buy a home and the lender requested I take care of these debts before closing. After some back and forth she then sent a email over to Americollect to pull the debt and have it removed. Fingers crossed!

She wanted to know why, she asked did I receive the bills and stated that they usually dont do this but would in this case. FYI this was apart of an auto accident that should have been paid by the lawyer who handled the case but thats a differnt story.

DON'T GIVE UP. EVEN WHEN THERE SEEMS TO BE NO WAY OUT. TRY TRY TRY.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.