Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt "falling off" your credit report

tag
Tink1o5
Valued Member

Debt "falling off" your credit report

Ok so I have quite a bit of debt, i wont get into the story of how i have so much, but i do know that the 7 year statue of limitations is coming up in 2 years (approx) and will be "falling" off my credit report.  Will this help my credit score at all???

WF Secured - 300
Quizzle Score (FAKO) - 568 (3-5-13)

Starting Score: 559
Current Score: 559
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Debt "falling off" your credit report

@Tink1o5 wrote:

Ok so I have quite a bit of debt, i wont get into the story of how i have so much, but i do know that the 7 year statue of limitations is coming up in 2 years (approx) and will be "falling" off my credit report.  Will this help my credit score at all???

statute of limitations, SOL,  is a legal term in regards to the time limit they can sue you and win on a debt. This varies from state to state..

The credit reportimg time period, CRTP, is roughly 7 1/2 years from the DOFD  on a collection debt (there are different time periods for different debt)

"falling off" debt doesn't mean uncollectable, just means the account will not show on your report. They can come after you for it past this time period.

Yes, if negative entries fall off, your score should increase but negatives are not the only thing that impacts scoring. Payments, util, credit mix all factor in

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.