Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt +ransferred back to OC now what

tag
bargerms
Valued Member

Debt +ransferred back to OC now what

is a creditor allowed to remain on credt report after debt is transferred back to the original creditor? i was told by the agency that they would not delete even if they do not own the debt
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Debt +ransferred back to OC now what

I presume the question was whether a collection reported by a debt collector can remain once their collection authority is terminated by the OC?

A debt collector does not have to own the debt, they can be an assigned agent of the creditor.  The debt remains due to the creditor, and the debt collector is acting only as their agent.  They report their collection authority, which does not require that they own the debt.  If the debt collector has actuallly purchased the debt, it is rare that they would sell it back to the creditor.

Regardlesss, a debt collector is reporting their authority to collect on the debt.  If that authority is terminated, the fact that they had that authority is not negated, and there is no requirement that they delete their reporting.  They must update their collection to report closed, with $0 remaining under collection.

Any deletion would be voluntary on their part.  Many debt collectors will delete after termination of their collection authority simply to rid themselves of any obligation to update their reporting or to subject their reporting to disputes.

Message 2 of 4
bargerms
Valued Member

so would it be worth it to dispute balance after payment to show they are reporting incorrect balance and keep doing so in order to hopefully just delete the debt?
Message 3 of 4
bargerms
Valued Member

by the way i have a 12 month payment plan worked out with the OC
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.