Regular Contributor
hateAshbury

Debt servicing versus saving for retirement versus saving for house

I bet a lof of folks here are feeling demand for dollars on a number of fronts. In my case, I'm dealing with about $30,000 of student loan debt, trying to save up for retirement (coming to this party late), and would also like to buy a house in the next three or four years.

A bit of context: I'm mid-30s, single with no spouse, no kids. I make about $75 K on salary in a not-terribly-expensive Midwestern city. I don't have much in the way of savings or retirement money.

Without giving it too much thought, I'm putting about a third of my non-essential money (where "essential" means rent, utilities, subsistence-level groceries) toward each of the three categories mentioned above. I thought about putting it all into debt, thereby getting out of debt earlier, but I decided to put some money into retirement because I think it would be foolish to waste the power of compund interest, and to put some money into a house fund because, well, I'm tired of renting and want to own a house with a lawn for my dog to poop on, and a basement to turn into a man cave.

What I'm getting around to asking is tihs: for those of you who are in a similar situation, how did you decide to allocate your nonessential dollars to meet your various goals while dealing with debt?

Starting Score: 653 (11/1/2011 TransUnion)
Current Score: 719 (5/3/2012 TransUnion) 572 (3/21/2012 Equifax) 762 (4/14/12 VantageScore)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}