Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt validation question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt validation question

I've been reading the forums for a week or so and I think I'm finally ready to get my credit up with the proper steps. However I had a question. I'm sending verification requests to the CRAs, but do I need to send DVs to the CAs at the same time? I only ask this because I haven't received a phone call about collections in a long time or any mail. Would this be waking a sleeping giant? I want the collections removed off my credit score so what would be the best way to go about that? The dates listed on the collections are all within the past 2 years so they're out of SOL. I have 4 collections (3 under $500 and 1 under $1000). I can PIF so I wonder if I should send a PFD instead of sending a DV. Any advice would be appreciated! This forum has been amazing to read.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Debt validation question

I'm not sure what you mean by "sending verification requests to the CRAs."  Are you disputing accuracy of specific information reported to your credit report?

The CRAs arent involved in verification of debt, only reinvestigation of the accuracy of reported information. 

Debt verification goes only to the debt collector, for the purpose of requiring them to obtain verification from the creditor that the debt is valid and to disclose the amount of the debt.  It is separate from any dispute filed under the FCRA.  You can do one, the other, or both, depending upon whether their reporting itself is also considered inaccurate.

Requests for debt verification must be sent within 30-days of receipt of their dunning notice in order to compel the debt collector to cease collection on the debt until such time as they provide the requested debt verification.  Debt collectors are never placed under any time period to provide the requested verification under FDCPA 809(b), and it is the cease collection bar imposed by a timely DV that provides their incentive.  If your DV would now be untimely, it wont impose that bar, and can be ignored by the debt collector.  Failure to provide debt verification is not basis for compelling deletion of their credit reporting... it is a debt collection practices matter between you and the debt collector.

That is not to say that you cant or shouldnt send a DV.  However, if untimely, it wont compel any response or cessation of collection activity on their part.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Debt validation question

Sorry, I'm sending disputes to the CRAs. So if the CA aren't required to return my inquiry then I guess that goes out the window since I could be waiting forever. Should the next course of action after getting the response from the CRAs be a PTD? I know it may not work, but I would at least like to see the status at the very least as paid-in full than chargeoff.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.